Author Topic: New HI-POINT Model 40 SW Poly Hand Gun  (Read 1803 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
New HI-POINT Model 40 SW Poly Hand Gun
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:59:22 PM »
I have not owned a hand gun in 20 some years. I can get this one for $130.00 plus shipping and FFL costs. Is it worth it.New HI-POINT Model 40 SW Poly Hand Gun
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline tomzuki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: New HI-POINT Model 40 SW Poly Hand Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »
It received a very good review in GUN TEST magazine recently.  Good for reliability and accuracy, surprisingly.  They also make a carbine based on this action...  made in Dayton, OH I believe.............
Tomzuki

Offline bscman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:06:49 PM »
The Hi-Point carbine has recieved better reviews than Beretta's carbine from several magazines.
I've also heard a lot of good on their compact 9mm (C9) handgun.

Their lifetime warrantee is unbeatable (no ?'s asked, even if you aren't the original owner).

They are a bit heavy and crude to fire...but for the price, worth in IMO. I'd like to get a C9 for myself, as a plinker to keep around the shop.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:14:04 AM »
save your money a little longer and buck up for a used ruger. PS those yuppies at gun test magazine done know there ^^^ from a hole in the ground and there magazine doesnt even make good toliet paper. The few copys ive read have almost had me in tears laughing at the bs they spout!
blue lives matter

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »
Check out the Hi-Point Forum. People who actually have them seem to like them.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 04:50:59 PM »
I had a 9mm  HP carbine for about a hundred rounds, then I got bored & sold it.   It was bulletproof.   Everything I put in it worked; hollowpoints, etc., all reloads.  It was way more accurate than my long gone Ruger 96-44.  I could outshoot allmost all my handguns with it, of course it WAS a carbine.  It was so perfect, it was boring. 

This thing was an engineering miracle!   But it was not a S&W.  I paid $189. a couple years ago.  I wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy another HP if I needed a dependable, inexpensive handgun or carbine.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Prebanpaul

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
i have a gun store and send those things back left and right for repair.  If you plan on shooting less than three hundred rounds thru it, great gun for the money.  If you want to shoot over that get ready for problems.  I know there will be someone who will counter this and that is OK.  Just speaking from experience and having an indoor range. By the way the old advt you get what you pay for. 
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »
Then wth are you selling them?
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »
save your money a little longer and buck up for a used ruger. PS those yuppies at gun test magazine done know there ^^^ from a hole in the ground and there magazine doesnt even make good toliet paper. The few copys ive read have almost had me in tears laughing at the bs they spout!

I agree with you Lloyd. My buddy had one and we ended up throwing it down range and shooting it at 100 yards with our rifles. It was a big piece of junk. The gun shop I frequent has nothing good to say about them and has had to send a bunch back for repair and they still come back as junk.

As far as why people sell them, well there are people that want to buy them no matter how much you tell them they are junk. You can't stop a fool and his money. Most if not all the gun shops around here don't stock them, so when someone wants one they have to order them.

Save your money and get something better.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 04:27:02 AM »
I cannot in good conscience sit here and say they are worth the price tag. For me to say they are, they'd have to cut the price in half, atleast from the experiences I've had with them.

I've seen and shot a pair of those huge mammoth things and now understand why that even here, in the state they are manufactured, local dealers don't stock or advertise them, they simply don't want to be associated with the brand unless they are special ordered.

The friends that had them have since gotten rid of them and upgraded in a big way with one getting a Sig 229 and the other getting that newer Beretta 90-two. The funny thing is they could both afford any pistol they wanted at the time but thought they could spend little on the HP and get something that worked and shot as good as some higher end makes. They still wonder what made them try them in the 1st place. Initially they'd laugh when I'd spend quite a bit on my Sigs. Personally I think they were trying to prove a point by spending 6 times less and getting something as good. Mimicing Prebanpaul, you get what you pay for.....

Note: This isn't saying they don't work for some and can't hit a barn. The people that get them are usually those who have a very limited budget(my dumb ass friends excluded) and are attracted to the lifetime warranty, nothing wrong with that. If it works for them, great. If they are accurate and dependable for the owners, and it gets them into the Conceal Carry world sooner, great.  I'm all for people enjoying their firearms. With that said, We ALL have different ideas/thoughts of what a pistol should cost, feel and shoot like. I don't say this with the intent of stirring up arguments, it's my life and I'll defend it with something I KNOW will work and something I trust and carry all day. In Conclusion, I would Never suggest a HiPoint to a friend or loved one.

Offline Prebanpaul

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »
nonya

The profit margin on them is much higher than other new guns in the store.  I E sell five a week and I make the same amount of money that I do if I sell two Glocks.
LUCK when preperation meets opportunity.

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 03:58:32 PM »
 I know a few fellows that bought High Points. To call them junk is being conservative in my opinion. They not only are prone to break, but I've personally seen two that you could make go off simply by shaking them fairly hard. With all the "safety" legal issues plaguing the major gun makers, I have to wonder how in the world these things could ever be sold here in the USA.???

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 12:08:10 PM »
Sounds like I was lucky my carbine worked.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline NONYA

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
I had a Brand new HP 9mm that would fire when u dropped the slide and had a tendency to double fire any time it felt like it,POS!
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »
Sounds like I was lucky my carbine worked.

Actually, I've seen a couple of the carbines in action, and although they're not too pretty(to me anyways :)), they seem like they're as solid as a rock, and very dependable. The ones I've seen were also plenty accurate enough for combat. From my experiences, it's their handguns that need some serious design work.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 04:04:30 PM »
Jerry Lester you are right, the carbines work great. I have one with about 1500 rounds fired and it performs great and yes it is ugly. But there handguns are a different story, pure junk plain and simple. How they got the carbines right and the handguns so wrong is beyond me.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 04:24:46 AM »
Thanks for the information guys. I will not be buying a Hi-point. I think I may go with a Smith & Wesson.          Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
Dale,

As everyone else pointed out the HP pistols are junk but their carbines are decent (Especially for the price).  If you had to have a really inexpensive semi I would consider the Jennings/Bryco pistols.  I did a little unofficial testing of inexpensive pistols about 6-7 years ago, A friend of mine had a Jennings 9 and a HP 9 and I had just bought a Ruger 95 in 9mm.  My buddy was going to sell his 2 9mm's because his girlfriend didn't want guns in their house (I won't comment on my advice to him on that one) but we decided to have some fun and break these 9's in before he sold them.  We got about 2,500 rounds of 9mm and went to the range.  The HP did not last long it had failure to feed and stovepipe issues instantly and with every ammo we fed it.  Basically it would up being a single shot after about the 4th clip as it would jam every shot after that.  The Jennings on the other hand fed fine with a variety of ammo and it shot ok not great but for $150 it was a decent gun.  The Ruger was fine as well but it is over twice the price of the Jennings or HP.  I think I paid $350 for it back then.  The Ruger triggers take a little getting used to but otherwise they are great guns for the money.  The DAO models like the model 95 9mm I have a half decent trigger but the DA/SA triggers have a lot of take up in SA mode so it takes some getting used to.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Dale,

As everyone else pointed out the HP pistols are junk but their carbines are decent (Especially for the price).  If you had to have a really inexpensive semi I would consider the Jennings/Bryco pistols.  I did a little unofficial testing of inexpensive pistols about 6-7 years ago, A friend of mine had a Jennings 9 and a HP 9 and I had just bought a Ruger 95 in 9mm.  My buddy was going to sell his 2 9mm's because his girlfriend didn't want guns in their house (I won't comment on my advice to him on that one) but we decided to have some fun and break these 9's in before he sold them.  We got about 2,500 rounds of 9mm and went to the range.  The HP did not last long it had failure to feed and stovepipe issues instantly and with every ammo we fed it.  Basically it would up being a single shot after about the 4th clip as it would jam every shot after that.  The Jennings on the other hand fed fine with a variety of ammo and it shot ok not great but for $150 it was a decent gun.  The Ruger was fine as well but it is over twice the price of the Jennings or HP.  I think I paid $350 for it back then.  The Ruger triggers take a little getting used to but otherwise they are great guns for the money.  The DAO models like the model 95 9mm I have a half decent trigger but the DA/SA triggers have a lot of take up in SA mode so it takes some getting used to.
Thanks OSOK. I will keep that in mind. Do any of you also have a suggestion for an inexpensive 9MM or a 40. Any help would be appreciated. I just want something that is low cost and not problematic.  Thanks Dale

Offline Jerry Lester

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 07:10:24 PM »
If you're wanting a decent pistol for the money, then buy a Bersa. They're not made as well, or out of the same quality materials as say, a Ruger, Beretta, S&W,etc, but they shoot fantasticly, and function very dependably as well. The little 380's run about $250, and the 9MM's run around $350 to maybe $375 around here(SW Virginia).

I've owned quite a few Bersa variations, and still, my wife has their Thunder 380. Every single one has shot great, and functioned perfectly. In my opinion, they can't be matched, much less beat for the money.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 07:25:09 PM »
If you're wanting a decent pistol for the money, then buy a Bersa. They're not made as well, or out of the same quality materials as say, a Ruger, Beretta, S&W,etc, but they shoot fantasticly, and function very dependably as well. The little 380's run about $250, and the 9MM's run around $350 to maybe $375 around here(SW Virginia).

I've owned quite a few Bersa variations, and still, my wife has their Thunder 380. Every single one has shot great, and functioned perfectly. In my opinion, they can't be matched, much less beat for the money.
Thanks I will check them out. Anymore options out there?

Offline jaybird

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007, 04:19:37 AM »
I agree with Jerry Lester- the Bersa is a good gun for the money. My wife bought a thunder 380 a few months ago and it has been very dependable so far. The trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but it is solid, shoots to point of aim at 7 yards, is easily concealable, and goes boom every time.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2007, 06:21:07 AM »
I agree that the bersas are great guns for the money. Reliable as hell but if it were me id step up to a 9mm as ammos alot cheaper and easier to find. If it were me id cruise the gun shops and pick up a used ruger. There uglier then hell but there a real good gun and the 9mm i used to have was a very good shooter to boot and my buddy who teases me relentlousy because his cheap 45acp Ruger will shoot right along side some of my 1911 target guns. Its probably the most accurate cheap out of the box 45 ive ever seen. Shoots almost anything into an inch at 25 yards. There are many different models of the ruger with differnt firing systems. Personaly i prefere the decocker models. There hard to beat for the dollar. You should be able to get into a good used one for 300 bucks. Dont even worry about any finish wear it has or if it looks like its been shot alot as i dont think a guy could wear one out.
blue lives matter

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2007, 01:33:39 PM »
lloyd hit the nail on rugers. i've got a p90 and i'm still getting use to a bottom feeder,but it's a heck of a gun.
they also clean up pretty easy. n fact the day i picked it up from my ffl he said he had one of the same model and just loved it. good luck , hope you find one you like.

by the way both gander gander mountain and bass pro had a s&w 40 cal on sale for 349.00 recently. maybe worth a look.
also i have 2 shops in michigan that offer one year layaway. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline T-Rex

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
I love those Hi Points.

No they are not precision instruments, and they are definitely not a conceal carry weapon, and you ain't going to win any tournaments at the range.  They are massive, and ugly

Everything has its place, and for a Hi Point; it's to stash around your house, and in your truck.  They are cheap, and out of the 5 I have owned, they are also reliable. 

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 07:25:31 AM »
I'm with the ruger crowd on this one.  I own a p89 in 9mm and really love it.

I also own a SW40VE in 40SW, which only ran me about $320 brand new, and has been a great gun.  Accurate, and reliable.  I have put over 3000 rounds through it and have not had one failure.  I always keep it good and clean though. 

After I got my p89, I was thinking about trading my smith for a p94 in 40SW.  I bought the 40 originally as a carry, under the matress gun, but a 357 snubby has since taken over that duty, so getting something a little bigger which shoots a little more accurate seems good to me.

I got the 9mm to shoot it, and the 40SW to shoot it, and make bigger holes.  I don't know about getting a hi-point when I'm looking to stay at the top of the power scale.  Sometimes I question my smith with the loads I put through it...  Maybe if you want a cheap 9mm, to just shoot the heck out of it.... but it sounds from above like you are going to make yourself a nice paperweight if you shoot the heck out of it.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Georgen71

• My page at myspace
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »
I was given a Hi Point 9mm and really like it a lot. It is reliable and shoots pretty good. You can easily mount a laser on the newer models and Midsouth Shooter Supply has them. Something to consider for later, Geo. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00116ADPHIPT140 Copy and paste this to see the mount.