Author Topic: Short trip into the White Mountains  (Read 322 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Short trip into the White Mountains
« on: September 02, 2007, 06:28:27 AM »
I put this into another post, then decided it needed it's own title.

Got back last night at 10:30, from a short overnighter in the White Mountains.  Saw Moose, and lots of Caribou sign but no Caribou.  Saw a group of 23 Dall sheep (Ewes and lambs) going in Friday, then three big Rams.  Unable to calculate the size due to them running when we saw them, and they did not slow down thill they were over the top of the mountain.  Had a small bull walk through camp yesterday morning, we just sat there eating breakfast.  I looked at Norm, he looked at me, we both said "NA, Let him go".  We were enjoying the morning too much, the sun rising over the mountains, frost on the tents and grass, trees changing colors, cool crisp air, and the distant roar of a small stream near camp.  We did not build a fire so we would not spoil the scene.  Beautiful weather, after the sun came up it got hot.  We just started riding the 4-wheelers looking at new teritory.  As evening progressed we decided to come home as it was looking like rain.  Saw another group of Dall sheep on the way out.  32 in this group, then two Rams across the trail about 100 yards away.  Both were only half curl, we watched them for a while then the wind shifted and they winded us and were gone fast.  I spoted a medium sized (High 40s low 50s) Bull Moose on the hill side about 600 yards away, again I looked at Norm, he looked at me, and we both said "Na".   We got out just in time, the rain started just as we finished loading, and as we drove to the highway from the trailhead it rained hard.

My neighbor wanted fresh meat so he went out yesterday morning.  Borrowed my canoe and went about four miles from the house and put into Pile Driver slough.  His intent was to drift the slough, spend one night camping out then finishing the drift today.  10 minutes into the drift he rounded the first bend and there stood a 50 inch bull.  Easy twenty yard shot.   His son Eric had not even gotten back home from dropping him off, when Russ called him.  Russ needed help to dress it out and haul it back to the little park where he had started drifting.  Eric walked the bank to the location, just a few hundred yards from the parking lot.  Had to make two trips, too much meat for the Coleman Scanoe for one trip.  While they were dressing this one out a smaller bull walked out about 100 yards downstream from them.  They threw rocks at it to drive it off, afraid it might decide they should not be in his territory.

And here is a photo of my newist off road rig.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Almtnman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • Walk softly and carry a big stick!
    • The Mountain
Re: Short trip into the White Mountains
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 08:18:28 AM »
Great post, I always enjoy reading what you post here. Sure wish that I lived in an area like that.  :D
AMM
The Mountain
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."~~Thomas Jefferson