Author Topic: .410 and buckshot  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
.410 and buckshot
« on: September 24, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »
Ok, I did the search and really didnt find all that much info per se on this, so here is my situation

In ND, at night while calling coon, we can either use a .22 lr or a .410. That being said I would like to try and use buckshot out of my Pardner this year.

The coons Ive called in have all been fairly close, and most have been on their way even closer :o, so what im wondering is if anyone has patterned buck out of theirs, and am I better off leaving the full choke, or chopping the barrel?

At the moment I havent shot one with the .410 only the .22, but I have some #4 heavi-shot that I may try as well.

ANy feed back would be great, I have a "judge" and bought some for that as well, not expectin much out of it, bought it on a whim, still no idea why  :P

Thanks

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: .410 and buckshot
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »
Don't know about buckshot but I bet #4 heavy shot would do a job on a coon.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »
+1 on the heavy shot.
Even the little slugs at close range would work well.  About even with a 44 mag.

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:10:59 PM »
yeah, thats what I thought about the hevi-shot, its the classic double loading.

I just needed an excuse to try something different, and I havent ever shot the buckshot, heck I havent even seen it on a shelf up until a few weeks ago  ;D

Ill have to pattern it soon and post the results
thanks
Dave

Offline ruppster

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:27:20 PM »
I bought some of the aluminum cased stuff made for Saiga 410's that has 5 00's. It is about 2 7/8". At about 20 yds mine puts all 5 in a paper plate.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 03:44:40 PM »
Last year I patterned 2 buckshot loads from the Versa Pack .410 full choke. The first was Winchester 3" 00 buck 5 count. It barely made it onto the paper, no good. Next I tried Winchester 2 1/2" 000 buck 3 count. At 25 yards it threw a perfect 3 shot triangle pattern right on the bullseye with the shot group at 1 1/2 inches apart. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it patterned.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 04:15:04 PM »
lol id like one of those judge pistols too! dont know why or what id do with it. be fun to pull out and shoot beer cans then put it away afore my buds see what it is.they a little pricey for a pretty useless pistol tho.wait i thought of a awesum use for them, shooting rats while bushogging my deer food plots. still kinda pricey to be bangin roun on the tractor fender.

Offline ohiobenito

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 05:00:19 AM »
I've killed a lot of coon and pests with good ole Remington #4  Express in 12 and 20 ga.   I feel better about using a shot gun with small pellets when shooting up in the air in the dark.   A slug or buck shot has some significant energy when it comes down.  small pellets dispursed, are a little safer.  I think.   

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 05:05:12 AM »
If you think the Judge is Pricey wait till you pay to feed it!
410 ammo while using 1/2 or less of the powder and the shot are twice as much as 12ga.
I have had good success with a 22LR and snake shot on rats at close range.
Also your standard 22LR works wonders.

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 05:36:14 AM »
I just got a .410 reloader last year so Ill be reloading once I get a few more hulls, I have ALOT of factory ammo to burn up yet, and my brother reloads for .45 colt so I can use his stuff.
pretty lucky in that reguard.

as far as my coon hunting goes, I have to call them in, on the ground.  In ND we have 4 trees and we all have to share them so If I were to start shooting into one everybody would get upset!  ;D   I have not once seen a coon in a tree around here, so I dont hunt them that way, usually calling them out of a corn feild or old barns etc.

the smaller shot may work better, I dont have a problem with it, I would just like another option. and it sounds like the 2 1/2 works well, ill have to give it a go. I did call in a coyote last year while out for coons, so that buck would have been handy.  :D

Dave

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:13:37 AM »
Sorry my feeding comment was ment for HillBill.
But if you are going to reload.  The sky is the limit as to what you want to make.
#4, #2, BB in heavy shot.  My thinking is if you are going to use heavy shot and it is so dense.
What ever you would use with a 20 ga in lead on Raccoon I would pick 1 size down and load that.
The heavy shot is a lot heavier than lead and by down sizing you can get more pellets in the charge and make the pattern denser.
I do not think the 45 colt bullets fit in the 410 cases.  I think they share the same chamber dimentions and the 410 can be shot out of a 45 Colt but not reversed.  Like how you have a back bored shotgun where it is over sized and still works.
For a 410 you will need to use 41 caliber bullets or 40/ 10mm.
I forget if you can use 357/ 38 or 9mm with the pettle wad or if 375 or 338 rifle bullets will work with the full wad and you can lob a 220 to 300 grain bullet.  1/2 oz =219 grains.
11/16 = 301 grains
FYI 7,000 grains = 1 pound
1 oz = 437.5 grains or 1 #9 lead shot
the standard slug for the 410 is 87.5 grains 1/20th of an ounce
But get one of the Lyman loading books as a place to start.  They give you hull, powder, wad, and primer. 
I use this book for most of my loads.  The only think I change is the shot size and will use a Win 209 primer instead of the listed one.
The primer will change the speed by up to 2%.  2% of 1200 FPS is nothing I am worried about.
The only thing I have learned from reloading is the faster the load the larger the shot needs to be.
My 2 Oz loads at 1300 FPS out of my 10 ga with #7 or #6 lead will smoke a clay bird from the 40 yard line.  But with #9's will not hold a pattern at 20 yards from the house.
good luck with your quest.  Now you have me thinking of my SXS 410 and making some rounds for it.

Offline coyotehunter223

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 02:13:47 AM »

I think you mean 1/5 ounce

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
I don't know that I would want to use anything but a .22 on coons. I am figuring that you want to sell the hides. One hole is enough to sew up.

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
I dont skin em, My buyer wants them on the round so he can make bait/scent out of the organs etc. so I really dont care about how many holes are in em.  I dont do it for the money really, Its kind of a perk I just want them out of my corn and away from the house lol

the .22 doesnt really do that good of a job on a razzed up coon, but we are limited to those 2 options, so I was just thinking of a better alternative.

thanks for the replies

Dave

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 07:39:35 AM »

I think you mean 1/5 ounce
Yep sorry.
Typo.

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 07:08:02 AM »
I knew a guy who regularly shot coons with an NEF Pardner chambered for .410.  He just used the Remington 3" #4s that you can buy at Wal-Mart...except the one time he accidentally grabbed a slug instead of a shot load.  To hear him tell it, though, that killed the raccoon pretty well, too. :)

The only shotgun I've ever used on raccoon was a Mossberg 590 loaded with 00 buck (I was dragged out of bed in the wee hours of the morning and I wanted something I knew I could hit it with).  Otherwise, I've just used  a .22 loaded with 40 grain solids.

Most of what I've taken with a .410 has been possums (mostly the same Remington 3" #4s I mentioned above, but some 3" #6 loads, too).  A couple of snakes and a squirrel pretty much round out that list. 

I've mostly switched to a .22 LR for pest control around the house (I live in a rural area, but I make sure to not shoot towards the neighbors' houses anyway).  Out to 20 yards (about as far as I can see them well enough to get a positive target ID while holding the rifle and flashlight at the same time), the .22 LR has done just fine.

Offline Kal52

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 11:51:59 AM »
I usually have a .22 with as well, I just want to be able to have more options, I did shoot a few with the 22, I just think I could do better, the velocitors and others seem to do a bit better on the few ive been able to shoot.

Ill be patterning the buck maybe tomarrow, going on an elk hunt and bringin the toys with, the smallest bore I have measured .390 with a full, so shooting a .36 shouldnt hurt, I hope.  the other buck is .32 OO so that should be fine. its the OOO im worried about.

Thanks, Ill let you know what happens.

Dave

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »
I picked up a box of federal 410 handgun Ammo 4 #000 buck in a 2 1/2 hull took three of them out in the back yard.. shot at a box at about 25 steps 3 made a 2" triangle with the forth about 3"to the right the other 2 rounds  kept all 4 shot in a six inch circle I am quiet impressed
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 09:36:38 AM »
Roy what did you shoot them out of?
Shotgun, handgun?

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
If we are talking treed coons I definitely vote 22.  Using a rifle an Aquila Super Colobri to the head would be plenty (granpa always used shorts, but the price on them is mighty steep now). 
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Roy what did you shoot them out of?
Shotgun, handgun?
H&R youth 410 22" barrel
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier