Author Topic: storing hand guns  (Read 1084 times)

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
storing hand guns
« on: August 12, 2007, 02:42:33 AM »
has anyone tried or what are your thoughts on sealing a hand gun in one of those seal a meal things for loan term storage?  i want to give grand kids a few toys. just want to keep in good shape.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: storing hand guns
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 02:54:47 AM »
  Not really familiar with those things myself.  I've tucked away a few myself for my son and simply oiled them down and put them back in their case and set them back into the gunroom's closst.  They saty safe and in a controlled enviorment. 
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 03:45:18 AM »
If you do that I'd make sure they are properly cleaned and lubed before putting them in. Make sure no fingerprints are on them. Then put some VPC paper in the bag with them. I'd think they should keep nicely for a long time so treated.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 04:16:04 AM »
All my guns are shooters, the kids and grand kids with get them shot and properly taken care of.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »
i bought some just to put up. i can't bring myself to shoot them. just to damn pretty to shoot. Graybeard, what is vcp paper and where to get it?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 09:55:55 AM »
Vapor Corrosion Prevention. It's the stuff S&W guns used to come wrapped in. Where to get it? Dunno for sure do a Google search. You used to be able to get it at hardware stores and such but these days such old time stores are no more thanks to folks like Wally World. I'm sure tho you could get it from some online sources.

Those little disks that come or at least used to come in die boxes and that Lyman moulds were wrapped in is the stuff. Tool and die supply sources might be a good source.

I believe VCI or Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor is another commonly used term for it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »
You might try some of the tool supply companys also, I believe we used to recieve some of the larger drill bits wrapped in it.  JIM

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 05:03:48 PM »
GB.  The only reason I can see for using the VPC/VCI paper would be to prevent the sharp edges on the guns from cutting holes in the vacuum seal material.   When an item is being sealed with one of these machines all of the air is sucked out of the bag, there should be no moisture to cause rust, etc.  I agree that the gun should have a good cleaning, and be lightly lubricated prior to sealing it.  The gun should stay in excellent shape as long as the vacuum is not broken.  In addition, I would be concerned about using too much oil/lubricant, as I don't know what the reaction would be between the plastic material of the bag and the oil. I have used one of the machines for years to package ammo, use it for packaging fishing tackle, and also use it to package dry clothes to stay in the boat in case of an accident.  There is no limit to what can be stored in the vacuum packages, they ain't made just for food.

I don't know how long you intend to store them, but storage in a safe with a moisture control system will keep the gun for years with no problem.  I have several Smiths, new in the box, still wrapped in the VPC paper, and have seen no rust on them over the twenty years or so they have been there.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 05:32:22 PM »
The Dan Wessons also used to come wrapped in vpc paper.  I still have spare barrels for my 357max wrapped and in my safe.  I've checked on them every few years and they still look as new as when I bought them 16 years ago.  Someone was selling the paper on Ebay a few months ago.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 03:12:52 AM »
Thought I remember seeing this stuff. Check page 247 of the Brownells catalog,(number 59) and you'll find what they call gun wrap paper. Comes in strips or sheets. Also storage bags and moisture tabs. -gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline fatercat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:19:52 PM »
i bought 50 sheets of this paper. it cost me about 65 cents per sheet. i will have about 25 extra. if anyone wants send me a self addressed postage paid mailer and a check and i'll send. e-mail me for address. i got the 12"X12" size

Offline alamogunr

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 01:07:06 PM »
I think you can get the VPC/VCI paper at Brownell's.  I haven't looked it up in the latest catalog, but it was there several years ago.

Offline southern utah

• Contributor
    • http://www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 10:14:47 AM »
fatercat, where i live I just leave them in the factory box ad put them in the safe. Stainless firearms take less maintenance but still need some light oil once in a while.  The bags should work but  the oil may damage the bags over time.  I have had good luck with the cloth bags that are treated with silicone. I cherish the things that my dad and grandad USED  over those that were just presents so use them.  My grandads Krag and my dads Colt Woodsman are my favorite.  Don't use the  plastic boxes with foam inside. I had rust on rifles show up in just a few months.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 12:11:11 AM »
If I'm going to store something for a while, I usually just make sure it is well oiled, so that moisture cant settle on it. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 02:00:32 AM »
Another item to try is camphor oil.  Don't apply directly to the gun. just soak a small wood block with it and place in safe or storage container.  Precision drafting instruments used to come in camphor wood boxes.  They had high carbon steel parts and were extremely succeptable to rust, if left out or handled and not wiped off.  I've used camphor oil for long term storage in my safe and even in Florida, have had no rusting on any stored weapon for 12+ years, just refresh the block every few years.  It can be found in aroma therapy shops or on line, a little last a long time.

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."