Author Topic: 25-06 range report  (Read 766 times)

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • was mich nicht tötet, bildet mich stärker
25-06 range report
« on: September 02, 2007, 11:51:40 AM »
Got it sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, then shot a 10 round group. Got a 2" vertical group.  Moved back to 300 yards, shot a 10 round group that measured 4" horozontal by 7" vertical. This was shot off a bipod. Removed the bipod and shot my last seven rounds at 100 off a rest. Got a nice round 1 1/2" group. I think the bipod was causing the stringing. Ammo was Hornady 117gr. factory. Hard to tell exactly with the stringing, but looks to be dropping about 5-6 inches at 300. I thought the trajectory would be a bit flatter than that.

I did nothing to the rifle before shooting, except to clean it. Did not try shooting it without the forearm either.

The Baskra scope was clear, and I liked the easyshot recticle.

Well, lets polish the bore, buy some more ammo and try it again!!

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 25-06 range report
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:10:13 PM »
Sounds like ya got another good one!! You might try the pressure point in the forend to see if it eliminates the vertical stringing, it's easy to install and remove. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
I tried to zero a whelen a few years back with a Harris bi-pod on the front sling stud it was a no go the groups you described could have been mine then. rested on the frame in front of the trigger guard and it shot like a house a fire
 Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:18:23 PM »
Got it sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, then shot a 10 round group. Got a 2" vertical group.  Moved back to 300 yards, shot a 10 round group that measured 4" horozontal by 7" vertical. This was shot off a bipod. Removed the bipod and shot my last seven rounds at 100 off a rest. Got a nice round 1 1/2" group. I think the bipod was causing the stringing. Ammo was Hornady 117gr. factory. Hard to tell exactly with the stringing, but looks to be dropping about 5-6 inches at 300. I thought the trajectory would be a bit flatter than that.

I did nothing to the rifle before shooting, except to clean it. Did not try shooting it without the forearm either.

The Baskra scope was clear, and I liked the easyshot recticle.

Well, lets polish the bore, buy some more ammo and try it again!!

It probably is your bi-pod since you have done nothing to the fore arm prior to installing it...and it could also be you got movement with them as well...Are you pressing them forward  before shooting or just allowing them to sit normal? Are you pulling all the way to the rear on the trigger at the break? Or just allowing it to fire and recoil on the break? This matters greatly...One of the main culprits of bad accuracy from a Handi is not pulling all the way to the rear when shooting...Also...not pushing forward on the bi-pods will cause stinging as well...it allows a lot of movement on the legs...

I am on #5 25-06...I just bought a brand new 2004 HV marked " Ultra " from nomosendaro's brother yesterday...it has the 1st generation extractor on it... I've gotten the last 4 of them every year for my Birthday...this one came 7 days early... ;D

I recommend you try some of the Winchester Supreme 115 grain Silver Ballistic tips factory loads...This factory load is my defacto " White Box " load for the 25-06 Handi's...it has shot sub-moa in all 5 of mine...I picked up a box to shoot in mine this week...along with a box of the Winchester Supreme 110 grain Accubonds...both of the bullets in these loads are coated with the Lub-a-lux coating on them...which I have found to give the best accuracy from any other bullet including the partitions in all of my Handi's...in this caliber...I also picked up a box of the 115 grain and of the 85 gain Silver Ballistic tips to load...Nosler/Winchester Combined Technologies haven't released the coated 110 grain Accubonds for us reloaders yet...but when they do...I will be getting a good supply of them in to use...The only down side to using these coated bullets is they have to be shot from a squeaky clean bore...and never mixed with any other type of bullet...other wise accuracy suffers and it will take you about 5 hours of hard scrubbing to clean every thing out of the bore...It will take between 7 & 10 shots to coat the bore good and for it to settle down...but...once it does...These were my first 5 shots with this one at 100 yards...it settled in very nicely after that...and consistently would shoot under 1/2" with it...

I'll let you know how my newest "Ultra" does later this week...

Mac

You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 01:15:28 PM »
Mac, Yes, and yes, on the trigger to the rear, and tension on the bipod. I'm going to try the o-ring and a pressure point on the forearm and see if that helps. Will also polish the bore (Yes, Tim, I'm going to use toothpaste ;D)

Wally World only had 1 box of 25-06, 120 gr Remingtons, they were about $8.00 cheaper than the Hornadys.  Guess it's not a very popular cartridge around here.

OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:27:18 PM »
Mac, looks like the drop at 300 yards will be about 5-6 inches from line of sight. I was expecting less than half that. What is your experience?
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:40:39 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »

Yup...that's the right trajectory provided you have it sighted at 1.6" at 100 yards...That is something I never do BTW...I sight all of my big game rifles in at 3" high at 100...Here's Winchesters data...http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/comparerifle.aspx?multiadd=UzI1MDZDVC0xLTErQUVBLVNCU1QyNTA2LTEtMStBRUEtU0JTVDI1MDZBLTEtMQ==&action=3&ctype=1&atype=1

If you reload...you can cut these figures down some...I have no problem at all attaining 3150fps with the 115's...I am researching another powder right now...that might do even better than that with lower pressures...

Mac

Offline greg916

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:19 PM »
I used a +3" 100 yd zero on this one also.  I'm not set up to reload the 25-06 yet, but it's coming ;)  Thinking 4350 powder ???

Will let you know how it does next time. 

MAC ,  Tim PM coming. 
OSTENDO NON OSTENDO

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:47:08 PM »
  Thinking 4350 powder ???

My 25-06's all did very well with 117SSt over H4831sc or AA3100.  Never tried 4350.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »
I used a +3" 100 yd zero on this one also.  I'm not set up to reload the 25-06 yet, but it's coming ;)  Thinking 4350 powder ???

Will let you know how it does next time. 

MAC ,  Tim PM coming. 

Well...if you used a +3 zero...at 100 and are still dropping...you need to chronograph the loads...That's the 1 thing about Hornady's ammo I really dislike...they are still inflating their numbers a bit... >:(

Mac