Author Topic: 270 Loading Help  (Read 273 times)

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
270 Loading Help
« on: September 03, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
I have been playing with my new 270 Stainless barrel and cant get any better then 1.75" groups from 100 yards off the bench.  I shot 1 box of Factory Winchester 130gr siliver tips through the rifle to get it sighted in before I started working on handloads, and it grouped those into about 2" for 5 shots.  I am using Serria 135gr MatchKing bullets and have tried IMR 4350, IMR 7828, and IMR 4895, but I cant get a 3 shot groups worth anything.  I need to pick up some more H4831 or I would have tried that, same powder I use in my custom 25-06 to shoot amazing 500 yard groups with MatchKing bullets.

What grain bullet is everyone else using in their 270's?  I need to be in the .75" range for 3 shots to be happy with the rifle.  I have tried no forarm, pressure on the forarm, rubber o-ring.  Rifle has a Mueller 4-16x50 mounted on it optics arent the problem, the barrel fits nice and tight to the frame no gaps. 

Any suggestions?
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 270 Loading Help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 12:25:17 PM »
for accuracy loads i'd stay away from a boat-tailed bullet if shooting at 100 yards.   they can be tough to get the best accuracy from up close.   you'll see that the competition shooters will recommend, those who know, flat-based bullets for accuracy out to approx' 300 yds.

i'd forget about IMR 4895 for use with anything but varmint bullets in the .270 Win'; and would think that IMR 4064 would be much better for them anyway.   this is because of a better loading density with the slower powder.   even so, IMR 4350 would be even better in a cartridge like the .270.   

for heavier bullets, like the Match-grade Sierra 135 gr' btsp, i'd definitely try some H-4831 SC, which meters better than standard H-4831.

I use a standard primer, such as CCI-200, to touch off a single-based powder like you are using in a case the size of the .270 Win'.    a magnum primer will not be needed and may produce less accuracy.   

be sure your bench technique is proper with that rifle.   the irregular shape of the Handi's forearm is problematic unless benched properly.   

take care and let us know,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline dk17hmr

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
I had enough H4831 to make 2 rounds today, so I went ahead and did that before I went to the range to sight in a 223.  I took a used 1000 yard benchrest target with most of the holes covered by pasters and stapled it at 100 yards so I could see where the 223 was hitting, before I fired at the target I fired my 270 at it which was more or less sighted in,  I was kinda disappointed with where the bullets appeared to hit, but when I got to the target the bullets I thought were mine were old and the 2 135gr SMK's were touching dead center in the bullseye.

I went with the data listed on the jug of powder which was for the 135gr SMK and a max load.  I am going to pick up a few more jugs and explore a little more with this bullet/powder in my 270 if the groups are going to look like one hole in paper at 100 yards I am going to have to except it.

I know 2 rounds dont say much, but this is saying alot more then every other combo I have tried so far.
Doug
.................................................. ........................................
Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »

I went with the data listed on the jug of powder which was for the 135gr SMK and a max load.  I am going to pick up a few more jugs and explore a little more with this bullet/powder in my 270 if the groups are going to look like one hole in paper at 100 yards I am going to have to except it. 

GOING TO HAVE TO "ACCEPT" IT?    YOU MEAN THAT AINT GOOD ENOUGH?

I know 2 rounds dont say much, but this is saying alot more then every other combo I have tried so far.

NOW WE'RE SNEAKING UP ON SOMETHING.    TWO ROUNDS DOES NOT MAKE "AN AGGREGATE".    IT WILL TAKE MORE SHOOTING TO KNOW FOR SURE.      BUT, IT IS TRUE THAT YOU WANT TO PAY HEED TO ANY SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT.   

good luck,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.