Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 818 times)

Offline jmerchlinsky

• Trade Count: (0)
Help Needed
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:15 PM »
Hello everyone, I am very new to both the board and the world of Civil War Reenacting, and I am interested in getting a Mortar for our Unit and the reenactments that we go to.I want it to be the proper size and such.  Now I have a few questions, 1. Is it cheaper to buy or build, I want to build because I feel it would be better if I put the hard work into it, but I don't want to spend a fortune, (I realize it isn't cheap) Also I wouldn't even know where to begin to build it, I have my wife's cousin's  fiancee who said he would help and he is fairly welled skilled, but I wouldn't know where to get the metal or some of the materials and the plans . Also if you suggest that I buy one, where would be the best place to buy one from. Thank You very much, I appreciate it.

P.S.> I have been doing reenactments for about a month and a half, and I have to tell you firing the cannon is an awesome experience.     :)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »
I have heard comments that the wood is harder than the barrel. I have never made a barrel, but I have made a base. The first time thru is a learning experience.

If you have the skills to do either metal or wood work, you will probably feel more ownership in the end result. The base was not "hard", but it took quite a bit of time. If you have more free time than free money, you will save alot by doing the work yourself.

If I was to do it again (which I will), I would make the base myself once again. More than 50% of the reason would be for the enjoyment of doing it.  I am pretty sure the second time thru would take about half as long, because I have worked out the process and already found the odd little tools needed to pull it off.

If there is no way to do something myself, I will always defer to an expert. I don't have a lathe, so making a barrel is totally out of the question. I do have a drill press and a saw and a chisel and hammer, so the wood is within the realm of possibility. I might even tackle the hardware myself next time... there is no real reason why I can't do it. If there is a chance in hell of doing it myself, I usually will at least try it.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »
Is it cheaper to buy or build . . .

Depends whether you have the skills and equipment necessary to build and how much you value your time.  People who build have machinist's skills and usually have machinist's equipment.  Since most of the organized re-enactment groups want full scale equipment, building requires more than the usual home shop machines, especially if you make howitzers or cannon.  A full size Coehorn mortar barrel is 16.32" long and 8.65" in diameter with a 5.82" bore so even a simple piece like a Coehorn requires substantial work to build.  And then you have to make the base and its details which is also a non-trivial task.  Unless you LIKE making things and have the S & E to build, buying is probably the less expensive path.

While mortars are the easiest to build, most re-enacting appears to be infantry combat while mortars are used in relatively quiescent siege operations if you want to be historically accurate.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 02:34:29 PM »
jmerchlinsky -

WELCOME to the board!

Buy vs. make?  The trade-off is obviously time vs. money, perhaps coupled with capabilities.

Mortars are the easiest to make, as they are (can be) very simple in design and the size lends itself to equipment more often found locally for a lot of folks.

What is appropriate?  That is suggested / governed by the organizations wherein you participate.  If it's re-enacting, it's likely to be consistent with "historically accurate" actual or reproductions.

We've noticed that our SPONSORS have done outstanding work and gotten great feedback on this board from their customers.  Take that as a blatant HINT to contact them.  Which is to say you need to be thinking abut what YOU want to play with.

I do no re-enacting, but I enjoy making and using charcoal burners.  Hence mine are in golf-ball, beer-can and standard sizes of PVC pipe for calibers (availability of ammo).

There are many others here that will share their experiences - as I'm sure you've read through a number of posts and have learned of the satisfaction of building/using these addictive toys.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »
One other bit of advise... build or buy... make sure the piece meets the rules for the group you are planning on playing with. If it does not meet the 100% of the rules, you don't get to play. Plan it out, check the plans against each and every rule, and make sure there are no conflicts.

Rick

Offline lance

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:09:39 PM »
looks like you are getting plenty of help, but, that don't mean i can't still say welcome to the board.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 01:41:52 AM »
Well, don't go by me, but....

I have access to the material, equipment and helpful friends to make just about any mortar or cannon that could be transported in a pickup truck, and I've learned how to do much of the required work myself (And I've made a few, usually as part of a collaborated effort among like-minded individuals). That said, I've found that even with the required resources at my disposal, making them from scratch can be somewhat "false economy" if everything (Especially the time involved) is taken into consideration. Just ask anyone who's built one how many hours they have into their project.

There are several builders of cannons/mortars today that I look at, scratching my head saying "How can they make a decent profit at what they sell their stuff for?" There are some really good makers that offer excellent "bang for the buck" today.

The above said, I wouldn't trade my experience of actually making stuff myself for buying it. I've learned a lot in the process. If I were younger and had the time available to do it again, I would.

You can of course buy some parts "off the shelf" and do some of the work yourself - I recently bought two mortar bbls on ebay that need bases made.

Also, when someone asks " Hey, where can I get one of those?", it's kind of satisfying to be able to say - "You can't buy one exactly like this, I made it myself."
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:35 AM »
Welcome
Like they have all said it depends on the type of equipment you have or in my case borrowed. The wood took me a long time.  Whittling on 2 oak 7 1/2 X 9's seemed to take forever.  Turning a piece of 9" bar stock on the lathe seemed to take forever also, chips were flying and it looked the same for hours.  I have spent as little as a year and as much as 5 years completing mortars.  I have built one 15th century howitzer with a simple split train carriage. A CW carriage on a full size piece, making hardware etc would be a major undertaking.  Let us know what you do.

Offline jmerchlinsky

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 03:02:57 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has posted or pm me, we still haven't made decision yet, although we are leaning toward buying, I have a question where would I be able to buy the metal for the barrel and such?

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »
One good thing to do is go to machine shops and ask if they have any"dropped ends" that they are going to sell for scrap.  If you get scrap price you will save a lot of money. Look at the steel, look at the books and see what your steel looks the most like, then make it.  Most make 1/4, 1/2 , 3/4 or full  scale.  You can make a 95% or 67% or 39% scale.  My Kufstein mortar is and 91% scale.  I posted pics and I don't think anyone noticed.  I had a 5" piece and would have had to buy a 5 1/2" dia piece to make the full scale. Less than twenty some dollars versus about $150 if I had bought new 5 1/2 ".  Convert the carriage/ sled dimensions. It is a good use for algebra.  Don't weld trunnions and end caps on 4140 and some of the "gun steels"  It can make them brittle.  Some of the metallurgists on here can help with material selection/welding.  Shipping can cost you a fortune if you can not pick it up in person.  A lot of these guys are professionals and will help you a lot.