Author Topic: Why load only 5?  (Read 664 times)

Offline SpunSolo

• Trade Count: (0)
Why load only 5?
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:31:03 PM »
I bought my Beefalo about 3 weeks ago.  Since then it has fired over 400 shots, and i have read as much as possible about cap and ball pistols.  There is one thing i do not understand though.

My pistol is a Remington style, and in the cylinder there are notches between each cap to rest the hammer in.  Most things I read state that you should only load 5 of 6 shots, and i believe some(all?) competitions require you load this way as well.  (interested in doing SASS mounted.  website stated 5 of 6)

With such a handy way to lower my hammer without contacting a cap i use all 6, but is there some reason that i should not do this that has not been explained?  is it something that is so common knowledge that people don't go into detail of it because i am expected to know?

anywho... thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Offline mykeal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Why load only 5?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:23 AM »
The custom of loading 5 (actually, loading 1, skipping 1, loading 4) became standard procedure for percussion revolvers because they did not have a reliable safety mechanism. It really applies to guns that will be carried loaded and do not have a provision for resting the hammer in a safe place. Some percussion revolvers have between-chamber positions that lessen the risk of unplanned discharge but none are considered completely safe. Even with those designs there is a scenario in which the hammer slips while being moved from the between-chamber position to half-cock on a full chamber, or inadvertently when the gun is being holstered resulting in an unplanned discharge. The empty chamber rest position reduces the risk even further and is therefore preferred at organized events.

It is also good safety practice to make an empty carry chamber a routine practice on all your guns so that it becomes the natural thing to do even when carrying a gun with between-chamber rests. If you do that it will be less likely you will make a mistake and rely on that practice with a gun that either does not have the feature or has one that is not reliable.

Always follow the safest, most reliable practices.