Author Topic: Yes... well...back to Wild Hill so I won't be bored.  (Read 1353 times)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Yes... well...back to Wild Hill so I won't be bored.
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
So this year I'm kinda low on funds.  I booked onto Wild Hill Preserve in VT for a look at fallow (yet again).  I've shot a few but never the one that is the end all...probably won"t this time either.  So...we'll see and also maybe a sheep of some kind, or another trophy hog.  I've never been there this early, September 6-10.  Hope I can get the pick of the herd.  Be using my ruger 77 UL in 243 w 95gr nosler BT's and a #1 in 45/70 w 350gr speer SP's.

Y'a never know what I'll come home with.  Will keep you posted if you're interested.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Yes... well...back to Wild Hill so I won't be bored.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
Let us know what you come home with.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 02:41:19 PM »
Course!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 04:06:23 PM »

This "kid buck" toppled over when my 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip centered his chest. Distance was about 275 yards or so.  243 is my favorite long reach cartridge for its amazing accuracy and dependable knock down power.

I quit shooting big antelope bucks over 10 years ago.  The young kid bucks and does are better tasting, similar to lamb.  I consider big antelope bucks for out-of-state hunters who will only hunt these amazing animals once or twice in a lifetime. Here in western South Dakota, the 'lopes outnumber people ten to one!

I buy my hunting ammunition from Black Hills Ammo. Perhaps you've heard about this accurate ammo company.

Good hunting to you.
TR

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »
Doug, I assume the .243 is for the fallow and the 45/70 is for the hog?  Are you finding both critters at the same hunting grounds?   Sounds like fun..Looking forward to your report.
markc

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
Hello All!!!

Yes..the 243 is for fallow and possibly sika and/or sheep.  I'm only looking for a Japanese sika which is a very small subspecies that is coal black.  The one in this pic is a small buck. 

As for sheep...well...it'd have to be a REALLY good one with over 32" horns (I already have good sheep).

The 45/70 is for boar.  He usually has a few really old and big boar with long tusks (breeders past their prime).  They'll go 300++.
Remember , Wild Hill is a preserve (and a big one at that, approx. 5k acres and heavily wooded with lots of New England hills) and they'll be lots to choose from.

As I said... we'll see.  I'll post as soon as I'm back.

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:39:27 AM »
Good luck Doug...
markc