Author Topic: NEWBIE help with Black Powder Naval cannons  (Read 1293 times)

Offline redbaron80

• Trade Count: (0)
NEWBIE help with Black Powder Naval cannons
« on: September 08, 2007, 06:27:57 PM »
Greeting all,
Some background, I competed in the NSSA in rifle and helped crew a 3/4 scale cannon,but that was 18 years back on the left coast. I enjoy firing my little Spanish made 7.5 in naval cannon( 45 cal) and have looked for more of them to build a 3 cannon naval display, complete with opening gun ports,for some mini broadsides. I found a couple on Ebay of the same type, but they sold for around $180 each. I remember paying only around $25 for mine,but that was years back. After searching the web, I found Cannon-Mania had some nice 69 cal.,12 inch barrel  naval cannons for around $235 each, so thought on ordering 3 for those for my display. Any other websites or makers of smaller/affordable ( less than $300 ea) naval cannons out there? I might consider just buying 3 naval barrels in the 12 inch range +/-  and build my own carriages. Thanks for any help or advice with finding new or used naval cannons.
Also, are there any sites on turning my own cannon barrels on a lathe?
Thanks again, Bill  Ossipee,NH

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: NEWBIE help with Black Powder Naval cannons
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 07:08:38 PM »
Before ordering anything from Cannon-Mania, read THIS WHOLE THREAD.  Cannon-Mania has a bad reputation here and you shouldn't order from them until you have some background.

Also, are there any sites on turning my own cannon barrels on a lathe?

That subject is covered here frequently although not usually in the depth necessary to take someone with no machining experience all the way through the process.  Check out this "thread" for a discussion of the making of a 1/5 scale 24 pounder of 1779.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

Well Redbaron you got your answer and what a great education for all.  Thanks GG

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 09:29:12 PM »
 If you're talking about the little rifled CVA naval cannons (Stamped "SPAIN" on bottom of bbl), they sometimes go for a lot, but sometimes for only a little (Under $50) on ebay. I just saw one go for like $45 a couple of weeks ago and at times they sell for $20 - $30.

You might wait a bit and bid on them when others are not interested. They come up fairly regularly.

I have one of the little CVA's here in front of me (My very first cannon bought in kit form at 16 years old). I'll let you have it for $499.99. I'll pay shipping...
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Go to the sponsor post at the top of our forum.  I think they will be able to help you.

Offline redbaron80

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:31:04 AM »
GGASKILL: Thanks for the warning. I have had some trouble in comms with Cannon Mania,but we did touch base and he stated he would have a new order of the 69 cal naval cannons in in a day or two,so I ask for a invoice for the price of 3 cannons w/shipping. As of yet ,no reply to my order. I see now I had best to with him in person before paying for these cannons. Funny thing seeing he has such a large website.

VICTOR3:  Yep, it is a old CVA Naval cannon. Have seen a few on ebay,but never for less than $100+ As for your cannon at $499, where do I send the check? Be fast, the ink will vanish! If you do wish to sell your old CVA cannon,let me know!

Thanks,Bill Ossipee,NH

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 04:46:34 AM »
Welome to the board, I have sent you a PM..

Ed