Author Topic: One scope, 3 rifles  (Read 537 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
One scope, 3 rifles
« on: October 21, 2007, 06:20:58 AM »
I have 3 rifles that I would like to hunt with over the next few seasons. None of them are scoped. I bought a nice Burris for one of them and thought how nice it would be if I could just use that scope for all 3 rifles. Is there such a universal mounting system that would allow for this?

Thanks!!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: One scope, 3 rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
Yes and no.

You'll need to readjust or sight in each time you move it which is really inconvenient at best and a real PITA. You might even have to loosen the rings and slide them on the scope unless you can use a one piece Weaver type base on all of them. If they are the same brand and take identical bases then any Weaver type ring or any QD base/ring set up will allow it but as I said you'll need to resight each time you move it.

While the idea of one scope and multiple rifles seems a good one to save money you'll find out quickly enough it's really a lot more trouble than it's worth. If you do it plan to buy extra screws as you'll shortly need them if you do much switching it around between guns.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
All good points from Graybeard.  Also the unspoken one about needing a high quality scope to start with.  With all of the rezeroing you will need a repeatable scope.  Will 4 clicks up ALWAYS be 1 inch at 100 yards? 

I swapped a scope between two rifles once......the scope base is the problem.  Weaver bases allow for removing a scope but there is no standard distance between rings.  Picatinny rails solve this problem with standard dimensions, but they are expensive and are not available for every rifle. 

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
Thanks guys. I kind of figured there would be a catch. That seemed too easy.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist