Author Topic: Cold weather clothing recommendations  (Read 1034 times)

Offline team101

• Trade Count: (7)
Cold weather clothing recommendations
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:19:31 AM »
It has come time to replace some hunting clothing.  I want something waterproof, warm in Ohio winters, bur resistant, and relatively silent.  I was looking at the Cabelas line but wondered what everyone else liked.  Any opinions are appreciated for outerwear and under layers.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cold weather clothing recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 06:00:40 AM »
Most of my gear is from Cabelas. The Wind Shear/Wind Stopper gear works too btw. It's not water proof but does cut the wind well.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:55:21 AM »
i guess im a bit old school and know its not waterproof but i still find myself using wool more then anything else. Its warm and will keep you warm even if it does get a bit wet. Im not blind enough not to know that theres probably better stuff out there now but until i find my wool lacking ill stick with it.
blue lives matter

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 03:28:30 AM »
Cabelas makes good gear.  Have also had good luck with Browning.  I like heavy fleece (polyester, not cotton) that is Gore-Tex lined.  Warm, water-proof, and quiet.   Layering with fleece and breathable long underwear goes a long way in minimizing sweating and subsequent chill.  If burrs are a big factor, there are breathable outerwear that is also burr resistant.  Wool also works well, but can be heavy, and dries slowly.  Just stay away from cotton, as it absorbs moisture when you sweat, loses most of its insulating qualities when damp, and takes a long time to dry out.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 06:48:56 AM »

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
The cold gear from underarmor is the best long underwear made today.  I've got duofold and fleece too, the underarmor is better, especially if you want something that works in situations ranging from long sits in a stand to climbing mountains for elk.

I've got 2 complete sets of the high end down and thinsulate cold weather outfits from Cabelas.  The bibs are thinsulate (make sure to get zippers on the legs) and seem to run in the range of $150.  I have several jackets and coats that can be mixed and matched.  I loved this product so much last season that I bought another one this year:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Waterfowl-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Waterfowl-Layering-Clothing%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104681880/i/104126580/Cabelas-WindShear8482-Waterfowl-Jacket/725335.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclothing-mens-hunting-clothing-mens-waterfowl-hunting-clothing-mens-waterfowl-layering-clothing%2F_%2FN-1102448%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104126580

I also have two down camo coats for late season tree stand and goose field work.

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »
I use Cabelas stuff myself and it works good for me. I work with quite a few Canadians and they all swear by Helly Hansens gear. Just one more option if you can find a source. I guess a google search could find it.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Nightsniper

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »
I know this sounds strange,But try Pantyhose!   Alot of delivery drivers wear them!   As long as you don't tell your buds!    I tried them on stand/long underwear and stayed toasty warm.  Alot less bulky.  Need to make a slit in front for when nature calls.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
I know this sounds strange,But try Pantyhose!   Alot of delivery drivers wear them!   As long as you don't tell your buds!    I tried them on stand/long underwear and stayed toasty warm.  Alot less bulky.  Need to make a slit in front for when nature calls.

There are some things that one dude should never say to another dude.  This would be one of those times.  LOL, all in good fun.

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 05:38:46 AM »
Whatever you choose, IMO it's better to wear lighter weight cloathes & dress in layers than something heavy.  If you start sweating you will eventually be cold.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »
Quote from: teddy12b
There are some things that one dude should never say to another dude.  This would be one of those times.  LOL, all in good fun.

A recorded message on an answering machine (not mine!!!):

"I will be out of the office for the next two weeks for medical reasons.
When I return, please refer to me as 'Kate' instead of Dave."