Author Topic: Bow season for 2007 open September 29  (Read 684 times)

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
Bow season for 2007 open September 29
« on: September 01, 2007, 04:33:54 AM »
Hey guys, are you all getting ready for bow season?
How are the deer herds looking in your part of the state? T
hings look good down here where I am hunting in the SW end of the state.

I am off to go check a few trails today and do some scouting for a bit. Have a great weekend everyone.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Bow season for 2007 open September 29
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 05:48:41 AM »
The herd looks very good up here this year , i'm no bow hunter but will be out for gun season with my 50 ML this year for sure . Just wish ODNR would let me use my 45/70 .  ::)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:05:14 AM »
 ;D Thing`s are looking good on are lesse down in ross county. They clear cut the pine tree`s out last year
So we have a lot of new growth. Two of the guy`s on the lesse uncle has the lesse next to are`s and his place is on a hill
over looking both. Said he seen about 100 deer on are place the other night. with about 20 good shooter`s in the bunch.
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 02:54:45 AM »
I haven't seen many deer around here for most of the summer but am now seeing them again.  I was shooting at my 100 yard target with a braked 7mm/08 handgun a few days ago.  I had shot a number of times when, to my surprise, a doe appeared in the scope just behind the 100 yard target.  A deer that dumb might be something I could take with a bow this season.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 03:03:44 AM »
Even a deer that dumb would be safe from me with a bow , unless it was close enough to stab with the arrow .  :o

I could not hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with the doors closed , even tried a crossbow once and had the same results .  :'(

I'll just have to stick with guns .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 05:59:48 AM »
Stimpy,

Dad went to a hunter ed trainer class this summer where they were teaching the instructors new things. They used several different crossbows and they found out that if you use your hands to pull them back the pressure is not even on the prod and it will shoot off to one side or the other, but if you use the cocking arm or what ever is made for the crossbow to use it fires straight every time. They had reps from 3 of the bow manufactures there teaching them new things, makes me wish I still lived in Kentucky as I was an instructor down there with dad.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 08:19:17 AM »
Starting to see deer again in my neighborhood- within city limits though so no hunting there! However also starting to see more deer on the properties adjacent to the highway which is always a good sign. I plan to hunt with my crossbow during the bow season then using my Handi ML during gun season.  I might get a rifled choke tube for my Mossberg, haven't decided on that yet.

Stimpy you should try the crossbow again maybe a different manufacturer. The first time I tried my Horton I loved it and have taken several nice deer with it over the past few years.  I spend way more time deer hunting now than ever before using that crossbow.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us