Author Topic: Got a New H&R gun today w/ a story and questions...??  (Read 1067 times)

Offline kipsbay

• Trade Count: (0)
Got a New H&R gun today w/ a story and questions...??
« on: November 15, 2007, 08:45:46 AM »
I'm visited this site this AM with one purpose in mind.....as the following question.....

should I buy a Hastings or a Remington slug barrel for my 11-87....??

I got browsing thru and one thing stuck....why buy just a barrel when for the same money I can get a entirly better and complete gun.
So I actually went to TarHunt / Lightfield site and made a call....talked about slugs and the comment was made..."the only gun out there that can compete w/ our guns (TarHunt) is the H&R....I was sold....bought one and had a variXIII 2.5-8 that I had kickin around mounted on it and I'm off to the races.

I do have a question for you H&R owners.....what slugs should I focus on....I was told the lightfield Elite 3" was one...the Remington solid copper....what else....?? I

First day to this site.....JK

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Got a New H&R gun today w/ a story and questions...??
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:04:11 AM »
Welcome to GBO!!  ;) Please check out the H&R/NEF Shotgun forum, lots of discussions on what to shoot in em there. ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,132.0.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Hornady SST's shoot great in mine!

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 06:19:55 PM »
I'm shooting tight groups out of my H&R Ultra Slugger with Lightfield 2 3/4" Hybreds...I also shoot Winchester BRI sabots with good results.  Of course, every gun is different...What my gun likes might not work as well for you...You need to try out different brands.  I would start with Lightfield...Always heard good things about them when being shot out of H&R slug guns...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 05:07:13 AM »
kipsbay,

Welcome to Graybeards! You didn't mention whether you bought a 12 ga or 20 ga? The rifling twist is 1-28 in the 20 ga and 1-35 in the 12 ga. Knowing the guage will help us to give better recommendations. I have a 20 that likes the Remington Ultra Core-Lokt & Copper Solids, Winchester Partition Golds & Platinum Tips, Federal/Barnes. Hornady SST's shoot like crap in warm weather, but shoot good in colder weather (under 40 degrees F) and perform excellent on game.

My gun (or maybe it's just me) has never liked the Lightfields, they hit about 6-9 inches low at 100 in my gun. The only thing nice about them IMO is the lighter recoil. Never used those on game, so cannot give a thumbs up or down on those.

The slugs I would avoid are the hour glass shaped (BRI design) made by Winchester & Federal. While they shoot excellent on paper, the on game performance leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:26 AM »
kipsbay,

The slugs I would avoid are the hour glass shaped (BRI design) made by Winchester & Federal. While they shoot excellent on paper, the on game performance has a lot to be desired IMO.

We have had the same experience with the Federal 20 ga. offering. I shot a deer at 55 yds. that was facing me direct on, with the Federal Hydra-Shok and the slug passed all the way thru the deer and lodged in the back ham. The deer ran about 200 yds before going down. The sabot exited the front shoulder and was lying at the point of impact. When butchering the deer the hour glassed shaped projectile was recovered and was not deformed at all. It could have been reloaded into another round.

Offline kipsbay

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
sorry....got the 12ga....

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:56:06 PM »
Take a look at the Federal Barnes Expanders.....either the 2-3/4" (1450fps) or the 3" (1525 fps).

I'll second Busta's comment....mine didn't like the Lightfields either.

H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
I went back and edited my previous post to read ..........."LEAVES" a lot to be desired, instead of "HAS". In other words, I don't like them.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline kipsbay

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
My gun seems to like a clean barrel.....and it likes the Remington copper solids....only tried them in 2 3/4"...but I will say they are grouping very well......better than the ballistics on the box say.....I'm at 2 - 2 1/2 high at 50 yds and about 1" high at 100 w/ tight groups . I will stick with them for now.