Author Topic: Need some die advice  (Read 627 times)

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Need some die advice
« on: September 18, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »
  I made a mistake when I ordered dies for my .338 Win Mag. I planned to buy Lee's deluxe set containing the collet die AND the full-length sizer, but mistakenly ordered the collet die only. Now some of my brass has expanded just above the belt and is not going to chamber.
  My questions are...(1) Will the full length die size down close enough to the belt to resize that area about 1/4" above the belt?
  And (2) If the full-length die won't get that area, I saw somewhere that there is a die (like a collet die of sorts) specifically for this area. But I think it was about $85.00, is there something similar that is cheaper?
  I don't shoot more than 100-200 of these rounds a year so I can't see paying $85 to try and save the brass.
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Need some die advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »
A body die would probably be the least expensive addition to what you have, but  if I were making that choice, I'd just get a Hornady die set, then besides a full lenth sizer die, you'd get an excellent seater die for not much more money. ;) You'd also be eligible to send for a box of Hornady bullets for $5 with their Get Loaded offer!! ;D

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=425978&t=11082005

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0007675163

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005546390

http://hornady.com/get_loaded.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »
DDelle338

I ran into this same problem with my old 450 Marlin after 1 trip through the Collet they started to buldge , just run them through a FL sizer and your problem should go away . I agree with Tim on the Hornady dies , most of my dies are Lee but as i buy new ones they are Hornadys just because i like their seater better .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DDelle338

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I guess that's going be the plan. I guess this is the time to try the Hornady dies. I have RCBS and Lee, but no Hornady. I do hate having to buy another set because of my own carelessness when ordering the first set. Still have bruises on the butt from kicking myself.
  And I was worried some about what I read, about the full length sizer not sizing far enough down the case to get to the area just above the belt. Can't remember where I read that. Probably the same place I read about the need for the expensive die to do the job.
  Thanks again
       Dave
Life's a Bitch, But the puppies are cute.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:09:26 AM »
Probably on the Larry Willis site, he offers a $90 collet die. I use a false shoulder to headspace off of on new brass to achieve the same end result, belted mag brass that lasts a bit longer. ;)

Tim

http://www.larrywillis.com/windex.html

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:13:59 PM »
The only die that I was ever unhappy with was a Hornady. It was supposed to be a neck sizing die for 7mm. Lee does not make a collet die for the 7-30 Waters so I tried this one. Using it, the bullets would nearly drop into the case. Maybe unfair, but I will never buy a Hornady product again.

JMHO

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 05:22:17 PM »
The only die that I was ever unhappy with was a Hornady. It was supposed to be a neck sizing die for 7mm. Lee does not make a collet die for the 7-30 Waters so I tried this one. Using it, the bullets would nearly drop into the case. Maybe unfair, but I will never buy a Hornady product again.

JMHO

mike

Did you think about contacting Hornady? I've got 9 sets of em, love em. ;)

Tim

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:12:11 PM »
quickdtoo

No, it was a while back and I just wrote it off as an educational expense. It was kind of fun to b*tch though.

Redding, RCBS, and Lee do the job for me.

mike
Mike Ellestad