Author Topic: Help I bought another one.  (Read 469 times)

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
Help I bought another one.
« on: September 16, 2007, 03:59:11 PM »
It's been two weeks since I got my last Handi and I am hoping to draw that buff tag here in Montana. I'm just torn between the two 45-70 or 38-55. My health hasn't been great and the 38-55 would be more managable for me. It would seem that the 38-55 would be more than sufficient for buff or elk - deer - bear - hog. Does either have any accuracy problems it seem I've read the 38-55 has been a little difficult to find loads for. Would like to here from anyone that actually has one of these two rifles.(BC or Target) Thanks in advance - Fanner50

Offline rbergum95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
Re: Why the 45-70 over the 38-55 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
i have the .38-55. i havent had any problems loading for it but i may be one of the lucky ones. i havent tested too many heavy hunting loads yet but i did have one or two that showed promise. i am holding off till spring before i try any more. loaded correctly with the right shot placement it will take anything you care to shoot it at. i would however prefer the .45-70 for buff. if you dont have time for any serious load testing there are plenty of factory loads that are up to your task. if you do have time for testing the cast performance 260 wlngc in the .38-55 should do the job. the bullets come with load data to give you a helping hand. good luck on your draw.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
The 38-55 traditionally suffers from an oversize bore and an undersize neck, although Handirifle's neck wasn't an issue, so maybe they've got a handle on that problem, let's hope so, there have been too many unhappy 38-55 owners, but he does need to shoot .379"-.380" cast bullets in it, hopefully he'll offer his experience on it.  There's a great link in the FAQs on the 38-55 if you haven't read it.  ;)

The 45-70 BC is just the opposite, no issues at all, other than they generally have short throats, so you will need to use a bore rider bullet if you go over ~350gr, or just load em short, although that's not written in store, some have acceptable throats, I throated all 3 of mine so I could load 350gr bullets to the COL listed in data. I don't think I've ever read a negative report on any 45-70 H&R barrel, BC or Handi length. Of course, you can always rechamber to 45-120-3¼" Sharps Straight and not worry about the throat!! My 45-120 BC shoots very accurately with everything from 300gr jacketed to 555gr cast bullets. If you get the 38-55 and it doesn't tickle your fancy, you can always have it rechambered and rebored to .405 Winchester, that's what mine is after a sex change!!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline benderboy77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 04:16:15 PM »
Also look at the .444 Marlin. Recoil is lesser than the 4570 with better ballistics.

Offline fanner50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:28:48 AM »
Somebody help me I'm hooked. I just ordered a 45-70 Handi 22" going to be my next full mannlicher with peeps I think I can't afford a letherwood scope. I"m going to call it my Buffalo Carbine. Part of the decision was based on the pictures I saw here and I found a brand new set of Lee dies in 45-70 in my shop I forgot I even had. Got a great Dr. report this morning so all is good. Now if I can just get that buff tag. Anybody have any sight recomendations?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Help I bought another one.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
Glad to head the good Dr report, that's always welcome news!! See the Peep and Firesights and Long Range Sights links in the FAQs, they've got a little bit of everything for you to look at as far as sights. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain