Author Topic: which one???  (Read 899 times)

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
which one???
« on: September 12, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »
I recently parted ways with my SRH 480.
Now Im looking at getting a 454 for several reasons.
Should I get the Raging Bull or stick with the Ruger?
Thanks
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline K.K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: which one???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »
I've had better luck with Rugers, personally. They may need some trigger work, but they are built like tanks, and with a cartridge like the 454, that's a good thing. Taurus, for me has been hit or miss. They are guaranteed, and quality has improved recently over the older ones. I'm thinking of a .460 S&W, that way I can shoot .460, 454, and 45 LC in the same gun. They are more expensive than either the Ruger or Taurus, but you probably knew that. Anyway, if it were me, I would choose the Ruger.

Offline Flash

• Trade Count: (82)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 02:48:05 PM »
Ruger for sure!!!!!!!!!!!
What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

Offline HEAD0001

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »
If the 44 magnum will not do what you want, then I would go with the 460 S&W.  I would bypass the Ruger and the Taurus.  I have been reading some great things about the 460.  I have shot several, and IMO there is no comparison.  The S&W is by far a superior product.  Tom.
Tom Chase  Passed away at his home on Wed Nov 23

RIP Tom.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 10:40:55 PM »
I've put 275 grainers over 2,000fps with my RB in .454, and that is plenty to kill anything pretty far out there for me. 

I love my raging bull.  People are always knocking taurus, but they did right with the raging bull, its a good gun.

The one reason I would go with ruger would be the customer service.  I hope nothing ever goes wrong with my RB, cause from what I have heard I wouldn't want to send a gun to Taurus... but I dont expect it to.

I would go by how it feels to you.  The Super Redhawk and the Raging Bull are weighted and feel very different.  I also like the ports on the raging bull.  Personally, I like the way the RB feels in my hand a lot better than the super redhawk, but that is just me. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Castaway

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
I'd go with the Ruger hands-down.  If you ever have a problem and call Ruger's Service Department, you'll get a real person to talk to without going through a series of "press x."  My experience with them has been nothing short of great.  Twice I'd had to call them about a problem, once a Black Hawk that didn't index properly and another timme with my # 1.  With the Black Hawk, I mentioned I need it back in three weeks for a scheduled hunt and I got it in two.  For the # 1, I needed a higher front sight post and they sent it, without charge the same day.  I doubt if Taurus has the same track record.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 01:08:54 AM »
go back to your 480 your trading down!
blue lives matter

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »
srh or ragin bull, you would probably be happy with either one,but since you are familar with the srh that's probably your best choice.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 07:45:47 AM »
Have you considered a Freedom Arms?  There is no finer built pistol available without going to a full custom from a big name smith.  This ones a .44 Mag but I have several friends with FA .454's and they love them!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 09:23:09 AM »
very good looking rig 44 man. good thought on fa. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »
FA by a mile. Ruger a very distant second place. I'd let someone else enjoy a Raging Bull.

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »
Think Im gonna go with the SRH. The FA is a sweet one a little out of my
price range the I just like the SRH.
Just wondering what is a good starting load I am thinking of
300gr and go from there.
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 10:02:25 AM »
300gr and go from there.

You made the right choice. My new SRH has a sweet trigger as good as some of my worked over ones. i like the 300gr XTP with a max load of #9. Enjoy!
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 10:16:05 AM »
i do not know if it's me but you just touch the trigger in single action on a 454 ragin bull,it fires.

Offline odoh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
300gr and go from there.

SRH is a good choice ~ only thing better would be two SRHs :D Had mine magnaported before I even shot it. Doing likewise w/the FA 83 I ordered. To me, w/these state of the art recoil management devices available today, its well worth it. Strangely, it was the 460 XVR that clued me into the fact that it doesn't have to be brutal and even downright enjoyable ~ for a bit anyway  ;)

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 03:55:39 AM »
Many of my guns have been Mag-na-ported.  It's a worthwhile addition to your firearm.  It doesn't show in the picture but that FA was Mag-na-ported.  In fact all of the beautiful work on that gun was done by Ken Kelly at Mag-na-port.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »
Between your original choices, I'd go with the Ruger any day. Too much past trouble with Taurus. First choice, however, would be a FA83. Save us and get the best.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."