Author Topic: Sick Deer  (Read 796 times)

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Sick Deer
« on: October 12, 2007, 03:31:09 PM »
Hey, folks.  Long time no visit.  I have a question.  I live in the SW Ohio area.  I had a buddy call me and tell me he had a deer acting funny and the way he described it, it sounded like it was gut shot.  I offered to come and put it out of it's misery.  It was walking hunched up, and kind of drug it's rear legs.  I stalked up to it and shot it through the neck (I called an LEO and he came with me since it is not gun season.  DNR gave me a letter approving the culling of the animal.)  As I approached, the buck struggled to his feet.  We inspected the animal, and could find no arrow wound.  I took it home and cleaned it out (first time using the gloves, as I had an idea something was up.)  It was not damaged at all inside, so, it was not hit by a car.  All the organs looked clean, and there was no more smell than usual to the guts.  DNR inspected it and said it was not the wasting disease, and rabies was unlikely as it was not slobbering.  What do you think. 
1.  What do you think it had?
2. Would you eat it?

Thanks.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
Re: Sick Deer
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:04:14 PM »
No i wouldnt eat the meat from a sick deer its hard telling what was wron with the deer i seen some thing like that on the Buck Master TV show they had to put the deer down but for the life of me i cant remeber what they said it was some kinda sick ness deer get some times Hope it dont get in your all's deer herd
1 shot 1 kill

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »
I remember seeing the same Buckmasters show and if I am not mistaken the deer on that show had Blue Tongue. I am not 100% sure on that but I think thats what it was.

Offline .54

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 05:47:08 AM »

Sounds like it could be this http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1189673608182260.xml&coll=2

I agree. I also would agree on not eating any sick animal. Even tho the meat looks good I think it would be tainted by the stress and fever of the sick animal. The cost or labor involved to retrieve the small amount of meat off a average size deer doesn't warrant the effort if the meat is bad. You did your part by putting down a sick animal and easing it's  suffering.
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 05:52:34 AM »
Poor fellow was probably just Constipated,,, ;)

Damn right I'd eat it.... freeze it a lil longer, cook it a lil  longer, I'd Damn sure not waste that meat.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 06:47:26 AM »
Poor fellow was probably just Constipated,,, ;)

Damn right I'd eat it.... freeze it a lil longer, cook it a lil  longer, I'd Damn sure not waste that meat.

;D ;D....Ace, you remind me of when I was young and just as unselective and foolish. Friends used to tell me that I would go to bed with a prairie dog iffin I could talk into wearin' a skirt. Over the years tho, I have matured and discovered that quality is better than quality when it comes to things I eat......but that's just me. :D
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 08:55:41 AM »
I reckon it's a side effect of being Poor White Trash all my life.. I don't like to see anything go to waste

Offline theoldarcher

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:39:11 AM »
Blue tongue has been prevalent in KY, southern IN, and a few other states this summer due to heat and drought.  The gnats that spread EHD will die off when a good cold snap occurs.  My brother has found a large spike in their pond, and a 10 pointer dead in the creek.  Blue tongue makes deer crave water, and many of them die in or close to it.

We'll lose a few more until a good hard frost, then it should be good hunting the rest of the fall!

Best of luck, Arch