Author Topic: HMS Endeavor  (Read 467 times)

Offline Fluxion

• Trade Count: (0)
HMS Endeavor
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:58:52 PM »
Well, I'm back from the Honeymoon in Australia! I bet you guys thought you scared me away ;D

Here are a few pics from a replica of the HMS Endeavor moored in Darling harbor right next to downtown Sydney. I don't have a whole lot of info on the cannon's. It was raining and I took pictures of all the info plaques instead of writing everything down but guess what happened. That particular CF card went bad on me! I was told by one of the old guys on the ship that some of the cannon's were the actual cannon's recovered from the great barrier reef where Captain James Cook wrecked the ship. They also recovered chunks of pig iron used for ballast and some of the wrought iron hardware. They  used everything original that they could get their hands on. In 1988 the Captain of  a Space Shuttle Endeavor mission actually took a large copper spike into space then flew down to Perth and hammered it into the ship himself.

Well here are a few pics that I still have, at least one's that wouldn't be off topic.

I will be posting some new pics in my New Guy thread sometime this week. I would do it now but I lost those pictures too!  I wish I could have been able to get them into the calender thread  :-[

Offline EL Caz 66

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
  • Man the guns !!
Re: HMS Endeavor
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:37:09 PM »
COOL!! Thanks for sharing...  ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 03:46:36 PM »
GREAT set of PIX -  thanks for posting them!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lance

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
Nice pics, love that red paint.
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 07:22:05 PM »
OUTSTANDING    Welcome back Fluxion !  Thank you for these wonderful pictures., yes I too wish one of those "Big-Reds" (24 pounder ?) would have made it for the calendar
I am surprised you didnt take the ship after boarding her ., Control her own cannons and cut her loose