Author Topic: Took my OE muzzleloader ot the range today  (Read 745 times)

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
Took my OE muzzleloader ot the range today
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
I got my optima to the range today. I was shooting 100 grains of Jim shockey gold ffg. I was shooting 240 grain 44 caliber lead bullets I cast myself. I was shooting them in a harvestor crush rib 44 caliber sabot. I was using the veriflame with small rifle primers. At 25 yards I started and it was deadly. The same at 50 yards. When I got to the 100 yard range it fell apart. I would barely stay on the paper. I ran out of the veriflames, so I switched to cci 209 primers. After I switched, the accuracy was lost and I had a hard time opening the gun up as the primers seemed to bulge out.  I am sure the accuracy will return after I get some veriflames reprimed. I am going to do that in the morning and head back out after lunch. I swabbed the barrel with number 13 after each shot then a patch to dry it out. It shot very well and went off every time. I was thinking of getting rid of the 29 inch barrel because I ordered the compact stock and thought the barrel would be too heavy and make it unbalanced. But the way it is shooting I think I will keep it.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Took my OE muzzleloader ot the range today
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »

Awesome...Let us know when you take it back out...I have the Vari-flame kit just sitting on my bench...I haven't had the time to really work thru it & see how it does since I found my load right off...But I will when I try these cool bullets Redhawk sent me to try...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:05:16 PM »
Well I got out again yesterday. I was armed with a new batch of veriflames all primed and ready. I started at 50 yards with some 240 grain bullets and 300 grain xtp both in harvertor crush rib sabots. I was shooting shockey gold pyrodex rs and 777 in various loads from 80 to 110 grains in 5 grain increments. All I was doing was wasting bullets and powder as I could barely hit the paper much less hit it near the same place twice. I was swabbing the barrel out after every shot with number 13 and a dry patch. I was very disappointed and gave up on it. I have been pondering the reasons since I got home.I was thinking maybe it was my scope, so I was going to switch it out. Well almost every screw that could be loose was from the base to the rings. So I pulled everything apart right to the barrel and started putting loctite on everything. I hope it works out better next time.

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:23:13 AM »
I got out again yesterday. I had my compact stock on and everything tightened down. I shot a variety of bullets from 200 grain to 300 grain. I used shockey gold pyrodex select pyrodex rs and goex black powder. I started with 70 grain loads and worked my way up to 110 in 5 grain increments. I was not really pleased with any of them. The best I got was 3 and a half inch groups at 75 yards with 300 grain xtps and 85 grains of pyrodex select. Acceptable for hunting, but not acceptable to me. Muzzleloading season starts here in 3 weeks, and I think I will pull out my hawken. Next summer I will work hard to improve on this, but I am wondering if there is any improvement. With the compact stock, the gun felt barrel heavy with the 29 inch barrel. I went to the cva sight to see about purchasing a 24 inch one and the do not list it in the barrels. I will drop Tom an email to see if it is available. I swabbed after every shot and spent about 5 hours at the range working on this. I shot my 270 with hand loads of IMR 4350 at 53.2 grains and 130 grain sierra game king bullets. I was overly pleased with this and am ready for the whitetails. It also felt batter with the shorter barrel as far as balance.