Author Topic: Underrated Cartridges  (Read 2077 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Underrated Cartridges
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:20 AM »
the 308, 270 and other landmark rounds are not under rated , under use maybe !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 03:25:29 AM »
to be underrated it seems like a cartridge would be better in one or more ways than the popular ones yet not used alot , the 2506 may have started that way but is now a main stay ! i offered the 7X30 , it is not main stream for sure but in some ways improved the lever gun much like the new soft point bullets did a year or so ago at least on deer ! The 7mm rem mag and the 300 win mag are great choices but the new mags are trying to out shoot them , but you see some try the hammers and return to the old main stays i would call both sensible not under rated maybe under used ! the 7X57 may be underrated in the USA but not other places ! maybe some one should start a subject named misunderstood cartridges ! the 30/30 would have a field day there !

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 12:28:04 PM »
The ! topic  !  is ! underrated ! not ! under ! used !! the ! 308 ! does ! not ! get ! the ! press ! the ! new ! cartridges ! do ! the ! 308 ! is ! widely ! used ! !

Cheese !  :D ! :D !:D ! :D !:D ! :D ! :D ! :D ! :D ! :D !
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 03:03:46 PM »
One of my favorites is the Brit 303. All deer that I shot with it only took one shot.

Pike I would suggest that is YOU instead of the Caliber some folks can kill deer with one shot with a 22 and drop them every time others may need something more and still botch the job. Though I have to admit the 303 Brit is a nice round very popular in many parts of the world.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 03:12:36 PM »
If its widely used it would appear be rated high by some , i know that at least 3 articles are in praise of the 308 in the gun magazines over the last few issues i have recived , if you feel it underrated then i stand corrected !

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 06:34:39 PM »
Underrated rounds?  Well, I think the most probably underrated round is the .22 long rifle.  For its size it's unbelievably powerful.  Taylor in his book, African Rifles and Cartridges, stated that "I would happily undertake to walk thru from Cape Town to Cairo armed with nothing nut a scope sighted .22 Rim-Fire and a powerful handgun, and I am quite confident I would not go hungry."  That's high praise coming from a man who has shot over 1,000 elephant and untold other DG in his lifetime.  Another underrated cartridge at least in America is the 6.5x55 Swede.  Anyone who has ever used one cannot but laud its virtues and killing power.  The .35 bores are overlooked as to effectiveness.  The .358 Win and .350 Rem Mag are most effective on heavy NA game out to 150 yds.  Most underrated by many.  It seems that any round that does not have a ton of energy at 300 yds is not effective to most hunters when the facts dictate differently. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 07:15:06 PM »
Well if we are talking truely underated here in the states it has to be any of the 6.5mms The 6.5 Swede has a small and dedicated following I have one it is one of the nicest cartridges there is and it kills big for its size yet it does not get the respect here in the States it should. Same with the 260 Remington a flop by all standards while it should have been a winner based on the 308 case look at its bigger brother the 7mm08  a success story as was the little brother the 243. Same with any of the other 6.5 rounds it is a caliber that just does not get the respect here it should. I never had a 260 but if I ever got another barrel for my Encore that would be it as I could neck down 308 brass to use and since I have an Encore barrel in 308 it would be the perfect match. I shot one in a pistol once and it was a nice round.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »
I believe that the "Ghost and Darkness" lions were killed with a 303, and I know that a ton of moose have fallen to the round nose 303 bullets.  I think it's the round that finally finished Bullwinkle.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Guy Pike

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 08:44:41 AM »
I have rifles chambered for the 358 win. 303 brit, 6.5x55, and 7.62 tok. I don't want to excite cheesehead, but I can say that here in Central NH these cartridges are mostly under heard of! They all perform as well as I can use them however.
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline Hooker

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 01:02:43 PM »
Underrated can depend on where you are. I catch all kinds of ribbing at camp for using rounds like the 30/30 7.62x39 45/70 357mag.
I'm surrounded by guys with 25/06s  30/06s 7mags 300 ultra mags and all sorts of the latest and greatest wonder rounds.
Yet in the last 5 yrs the only deer that have been killed at camp were either killed by myself and one old feller he uses an old wildcat based on a hornet case nothing fancy but easy on the shoulder and accurate as heck. And most of these deer are killed at less than 30 yds. I think it's not the cartridges being over or under rated it's the ego behind the trigger are over inflated or it could it be that some folks believe all those bullet ads.   ;D

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2007, 12:54:09 AM »
crow feather - Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not Bullwinkle, nooooooooooooooooooooo.  Rocky maybe, but not Bullwinkle....................

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2007, 02:58:09 AM »
I guess if you use what the gun writers put in print most old rounds are underrated ! who is going to take a writer on a hunt in Africa to get them to write an article on the 30/30 Winchester or the 300 win mag ? the writers get wined and dined to spit out articles on the NEW and IMPROVED , the newest bestest deer hammer since time began !
if you really want to know how a round rates check out ammo sales and reloading die sales if its getting used its got respect along with being rated high with the end user !

Offline powderman

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 03:14:27 AM »
I guess if you use what the gun writers put in print most old rounds are underrated ! who is going to take a writer on a hunt in Africa to get them to write an article on the 30/30 Winchester or the 300 win mag ? the writers get wined and dined to spit out articles on the NEW and IMPROVED , the newest bestest deer hammer since time began !
if you really want to know how a round rates check out ammo sales and reloading die sales if its getting used its got respect along with being rated high with the end user !

YEP. Agreed Sir. I've always said that the inventor is nothing. The guy that convinces you that you want or need the item is the smart one. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm