Author Topic: CVA Electra?  (Read 1687 times)

Offline coop2564

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
CVA Electra?
« on: February 23, 2007, 05:02:01 AM »
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: CVA Electra?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:41:49 AM »
coop,

It has been discussed, some where before, but the search feature isn't working and I can't remember the title of the thread. Probably been a couple months ago now. I went back to early Nov, but didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

I really think this one will be a flash in the pan, not that the design will not work, but the Game Departments are probably going to have a hayday with it. I don't trust all electrical stuff, temperature & moisture (humidity, rain, snow) effect it, and I can see some potential problems. I think of the "Christmas Story" every time I see this rifle. "You'll shoot your eye out"! ;)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 05:26:33 PM »
Calling that a ML is as bad as calling a smokeless savage a ML.

HeeHeeHee

I just kicked the hornets nest.

T/C RULES
NRA Member

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:52:55 AM »
Good one manofthe45.     :D ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline elkstalkr

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »

No comment.  You guys already know my opinion about that subject.

The electra just looks like a really bad idea to me.  Its ignition is from an akaline battery.  My muzzleloading seaon is in December, I live in Nebraska.  You do the figurin.................Extreme cold weather and batteries are usually a bad combination.

Think I'll stick to my 209's, thank you.

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

HeeHeeHee

I just kicked the hornets nest.

T/C RULES
Both the Electra and the Savage is loaded in the muzzle so what makes them not a muzzle loader.
Is it because they have something different about them?
Come on man!!!
One uses smokeless powder which leaves less fowling which cleans better.
The other has a device that allows no fowling what so ever from a primer, which cleans better.
You still have to load them the same. In the muzzle.
Most of the advances in ML are to make them shoot cleaner, and to make them easier to clean. So whats the big deal.
Do you enjoy shooting a nasty barrel That you have to clean about every two or three shots, or do you want a gun that shoots clean enough that you can get maybe 30 shots with out having to clean it.
For me I'll take the cleaner shooting ML.
I don't see what is so hard about giving new technology a chance to prove itself before we circle it like wolves and attack. 
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
I dont see what is so hard to understand about some of us thinking its a horrible idea,get over it.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 08:02:50 PM »
The simple fact is they are muzzle loaders whether you say they are or not. You can use what ever you call a muzzle loader and I'm fine with that. But when I'm hunting with what I call a muzzle loader I won't even know what you are using.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 08:22:53 PM »
ummmmmmm....surrrrreeee....i understand completely...

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
I'm Done With this Topic If you look at my new post you will see my definition of a muzzle loader.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »
You lost me when did the topic change to what you call a ML?

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:23:35 AM »
LOl Thanx Monofthe45 but Im completely used to his Bs by now and find it slightly amusing!Didnt Remington try this same system and it never even hit the market due to lack of intrest?

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 04:48:01 AM »
manofthe45 just what is your definition of a Muzzle Loader if it is not a gun that is loaded in the muzzle.
You said in one of your post that calling it ML was like calling a smokeless savage a ML. I got the impression that you would not call it a ML.
You have the right to not like the idea. I'm just confused on why you think it's not a muzzle loader. And I don't have a God complex and I'm not jumping down anyone's throat. I'm just trying to find out why it not a muzzle loader to you. It may be a bad example of a muzzle loader but it is loaded in the muzzle. The only difference is the ignition. Maybe I just need to understand a little better because apparently I don't.

NONYA I am not Questioning why you think its a horrible idea. You certainly have that right. I should have looked at the post better it was not you that said you wouldn't call it a muzzle loader. Sorry.

I don't expect everyone to think its a good idea. It may be a bad idea. Time will tell.

Offline giturgun

• Avid Poster
  • Me land yacht
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 03:46:17 AM »
Had a brand new one at my range yesterday.  I would give it a chance, but that is just me.  The man that owns this one will definatly give it the ultimate try out. He hunts Alaska , Canada Virginia ,Tennessee , and next year has a trip scedualed out west. He has a wall of trophies that is amazing, 2 in the Boon and Crocket book. Elk and some big moose.
  Ididn't shoot the muzzle gun , but was running a few 55 gn. v-maxes through the old 22-250 Pac- Nor barrel. It went off every time, And was doing very well at 100 yard range. Didn't measure the group , but looked about 1.5 to 1.75 . He used triple seven and power belts . I am a somewhat traditionalist on muzzle loaders and don't own anything but side hammers . But I would like to have one of these just because it is so different.

Offline Sekiar

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
I can't believe so much negative comments are being made about a gun that none have own or shot.  I purchased one and I've been shooting guns of all types for 60 years and being a retired electronic engineer I can tell you CVA has a great product in their new Electra Arc.  If you drive a modern car your life depends on many complex electronic circuits working as you travel along.  I looked over the list of things that could go wrong.  I could give a more pratical list of what does go wrong with many existing muzzle loaders, but why bother.  The CVA will not let a cap fall off, have the tripple -7 ring caused by a too hot primer and the lock time is the fastest I've ever shot in any gun. The battery will not be a problem in cold weather if, as they suggest using a lithium battery I don't hunt any more but if I did this would be the one gun I would use.  And I have many muzzleloaders to chose from.  A large number of people walk around every day with an electronic pace maker and are darn glad because of it.  The biggest problem I've ever hand in a circuit design is the mechanical components failing.  80% of car repairs are mechanical problems.... I'll just bet if you would shoot one of these rifles you too would be surprised in its performance.  Charles

Offline NONYA

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 08:13:20 PM »
HTH do you know its such a great product as YOU have never owned or shot one?Most of us dont like the electric ignition idea at all,whats so hard for you guys to understand about that?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 06:12:43 AM »
I hate to say this but I agree with NONYA, the concept of an electric ignition in my opinion is a bad idea. I don't see where he did not say it was not a M/L but the electric ignition in not a smart choice. I would not get one and as he said, time will tell. Lets see in two years if they are a hot item. I doubt it myself.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 06:49:54 AM »
The current issue of F&S is an All-Gear issue, the Electra is one of the tested muzzleloaders, along with the TC Triumph, Traditions Pursuit XLT Extreme and Traditions Double Express O/U. This is their final comment:

After shooting, we cleaned the guns, loaded and capped them, then submerged them in water for a minute. Next, we removed the guns and test-fired them. All went off except the Electra. In fairness, the Electra is advertised as weatherproof, not waterproof.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline NONYA

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »
There Ya go........"all went off except the electra",BIG SURPRISE!!!!

Offline crkempton

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »
im starting to smell a........

Offline manofthe45

• Trade Count: (36)
  • A Real Regular
  • Bucks Hang On The Wall. Does Fill The Freezer
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 06:28:05 AM »
Had to save that pic its almost as good as this one.  This one more accuartly describes the views of many about CVA

Gotta hate

HIA SYNDROME
NRA Member

Offline jlbeebe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »
This seems like an interesting idea to me. Time will tell if it works or not. People quite often don't like anything that seems different. I heard this same talk years ago when Tony Knight built the MK-85 in his garage. I don't think I would buy one but I would like to hear from people who have them.

Offline cascadedad

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2007, 08:01:21 PM »
I'm all for it.  I'm going to buy one someday and put a De-Resonator on the barrel.  Should make a great combination.

I reallly don't care what anybody thinks about it.