Author Topic: Shot Placement on Goats/Sheep  (Read 1730 times)

Offline BUTCHER45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Shot Placement on Goats/Sheep
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:36:22 AM »
     I've been looking for a diagram of the heart/lung region of goats and it seems to be a wast of time.  I found out they have four stomachs that are all over the place.  Makes a gut shot look inevitable.
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Shot Placement on Goats/Sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 03:34:57 AM »
Not really. They are a ruminant just as is a deer or cow. Just aim as you would for a deer and you'll do fine.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:03:14 PM »
Ditto.....most exotic sheep are assasinated.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline BUTCHER45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
     From what I hear from people that have hunted this ranch all of the exotics (and hogs as well) are much spookier than most ranches and are not readily approachable.  Just what I've heard.  I will soon see for myself and let you know the straight scoop.
     The more I think about this hunt the more I change my mind on what to shoot.  The largest animal I've had the opportunity to shoot with this air rifle so far weighed 20lbs or so.  I'm now thinking the largest animal I want this .45 air rifle to step up to as far as heart/lung shots is under 100lbs.  Anything larger gets a headshot which kind of excluded rams and goats.  If I had my next air rifle right now which is considerably more powerful than the one I'm taking on the hunt I would shoot a ram or deer at 25 yards in a heartbeat with it.  It puts out a 205grainer at 1020fps but I'd probably use the heaviest bullet I can put out at around 900-925fps.
     Now if I come across a particularly small Mouflon with a representative set of horns that scream "Valentine's Day", I may have to take a heart-shot if the ideal opportunity presented itself.  I understand the purer Mouflon's are only about 90lbs tops but also rare. 
     From my study of the Strasbourg Goat Tests, using my .45 air rifle with a 210grainer, I can expect a 150lb. goat to take about 12 or 14 seconds to go down from a lungshot.  Let's assume a goat is a little slower than a deer and can travel about 8 yards a second.  That means, assuming the hit is good, that I can expect that goat to run anywhere between 96 and 112 yards or so.  If he happens to run in a straight line that is a bit too much run for me.
     Now if I cut about 60 pounds off the weight of that goat, things look a lot more promising as far as a quick, clean kill with little trailing.  Yep, I think I'm gonna look for a small Mouflon/Mouflon type with a nice representative set of horns if I'm taking a shot at a goat.  Other than that it's meat hogs, coyotes and maybe a headshot on a bigger boar with a nice set of cutters to mount the remainder of the skull.
click here for.45caliberAirgun slideshow