Author Topic: What's this 24-in. bronze cannon-like thing? I've got no idea whatsoever.  (Read 525 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Last spring a person sent me 5 pictures of a 24-inch-long object that resembles a cannon, but isn't. Or if it is, it is like nothing I've ever seen before.   I could not identify it for him.  I honestly have no idea what this thing is. On the outside yes it looks like a cannon, but the wall thickness of it is far too thin to be a "normal type" black powder, ball-throwing, weapon-type cannon.  It is marked "E. Hidden" with a New York City address.  Hidden invented a type of percussion lock used on U.S. cannons during the 1840's. 

So then whatheheck is this thing?

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What's this 24-in. bronze cannon-like thing? I've got no idea whatsoever.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 04:59:18 PM »
 i know, i know............he mounted it on his row boat and went duck hunting, hey , it's a good guess ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:20:43 PM »
cannonmn,

I would think that maybe it was used as a test fixture for his percussion lock system. It seems that there were quite a few holes that were placed in the breech area then filled. There seems to be a bit of scaring on the rim behind the vent.  Maybe, from a lanyard? or, someone dragging it.

Well, that my un-educated guess. It's a nice piece and I would like the know the history as well.  The markings is what makes it real interesting.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »
That's his address on the end of the trunnion...could maybe Intodeep be on the right  track and this some sort of demo or sales man sample to demonstrate his lock?  Might even have fired a blank charge.  Thats my SWAG!

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:38:55 PM »
>I would think that maybe it was used as a test fixture for his percussion lock system.

That makes sense given the name on it, certainly.  I'd give that idea even more credibility if there were still open, threaded holes in it so one of the locks could be mounted. 

The idea of some kind of signal rocket launcher occurred to me. Or maybe some kind of line-throwing device?  I dunno.