Author Topic: Any quirks to using a Lee Pro 4-20 melter?  (Read 612 times)

Offline hans g./UpS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Any quirks to using a Lee Pro 4-20 melter?
« on: September 14, 2003, 05:20:51 AM »
I'll be casting 58,62 and 72 caliber roundballs with[hopefully] pure lead with a Lee Pro 4-20 [700 watt] electric melter.This melter has a bottom pour.I have Lee roundball molds.The last time I used to occasionally cast roundballs with a dipper out of a pot on top of a backpacking gasoline stove, was ~10 years ago.
Any quirks to the process with this melter?
Thanks.

Offline bpjon

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Bottom pour quirks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2003, 03:10:51 PM »
First, keep a metal pan under the pour spout.  It has a tendency to start leaking when you least expect it.
Second, I keep a propane torch handy to thaw the occasional "spout freeze".
Last, develop a consistent technique, for example, always keep at least .5" of clearance between the mold and the spout, always make the sprue puddle about the same size, etc.  And no, I'm not saying you need, or don't need, clearance between the mold and spout, just figure what works well for your mold, and stick to it.
"Who is John Galt?"

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
Any quirks to using a Lee Pro 4-20 melter?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2003, 03:41:45 PM »
What bpjon said.
I keep a Lodge spoon holder/ashtray I got at  Wal-Mart under the pot. It looks like a miniature  cast iron skillet and fits just fine. I don't have enough trouble with spout freeze ups to warrant the use of a torch at hand, but I do keep a screwdriver or two close by in case I have to adjust the flow or in an attempt to stop a leak.
 I think ALL lee pots leak to some extent, but the get the job done. I have two,  and both have the bottom spout, and both leak when THEY want to.  It's a minor thing, but distracting at times.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline markcl

lee pot
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2003, 05:09:56 PM »
i have learned to only use clean lead, do your ingot makeing with a 10 qt cast iron pot on a turkey cooker,and never run a bottom pour pot empty,that is keep an inch of lead in the pot so the floating stuff is away from the spout!