Author Topic: What have I bought. pics to figure out this mess  (Read 2303 times)

Offline JBMauser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What have I bought. pics to figure out this mess
« on: June 07, 2003, 07:57:12 AM »
Ok bullet swagers, I need a bit of help.  I bought some stuff cause I had to do it.  I think or I thought that these are swaging dies and supplies.  I can use the item in pic No. 2 to size my .312 cast bullets.  I don’t know if that is what it was made to do but I forced a unsized cast .314 through it and I got a sized down bullet.  I am happy for that.  What are the dies in Pic 3"  The one with the brass insert  which is only 1 in. long plus the threads is .505 dia.  The other dies are .470, .500, .516.  What are these?  Last question I think I know the answer.  The cups are .45 bases for swedged bullets correct?

http://www.hunt101.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=5613&cat=500

Tell me what I have and what to use it for.  I have a regular rock chucker  Press and so I can use these to some degree.  What screws into the top of these long dies?  Thanks for any help.  I have looked in all my books and I am coming up empty.  JBMauser

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
What have I bought. pics to figure out this
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 01:07:20 PM »
My guess is that you have shell case sizing dies for some 'British' or other european cartridges. They have those Berdan primers so there would be no depriming stem. are those dies all strait walled? The cups are called "half jackets". 8)

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
what have I got
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 01:29:26 PM »
So you don't think these dies are for swaging?  Yes they are straight walled and threaded on the end.  some are very smooth on the inside as I would expect for a sizing die and some are rather rough with many tool marks.  Any idea what the short brass insert with the fine machine threads on the end is?  Thanks for burning up some grey matter for me.  JBMauser

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 05:00:32 PM »
Swage dies usually don't have internal threads. Die holders do, but these don't look like holders. As to the threaded brass punch, it could fit into some press ram head of a make not seen in the US of A. Then again it could be shop built: Brass is not a good metal to use in swaging, or other sorts of high pressure dies. Also, I suspect several parts are missing for each of those dies. maybe someone over on the "Reloading" board can help out. 8)

Offline pjh421

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2003, 12:51:52 PM »
JBMauser,

Talon is right.  Those are some sort of cartridge reloading dies.  They are way too thin to hold up under swaging pressure.  Also, the internal threads give them away.  They are for seater stems, expander ball stems, etc.

Are there any markings on them?  Did the seller know anything?  The .312 sizer doesn't look like anything I've ever seen but hey, if it works, super.

Paul

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 12:54:34 PM »
JB MAUSER :  I would probably have a casting made to get some measurements then I would go from there. :D   JIM

Offline jhm

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 12:58:59 PM »
JB:  And the one with the brass sticking out of it could have been a sizing die with a stuck case in it, it will happen to all reloaders at some time and after you try to get it out by hand you usually end up with a die looking like that. :D    JIM

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
mystry dies
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 02:16:36 PM »
JHM, The brass piece is a solid 1 inch piece with a threaded end.  It easily slips out by hand.  I left it in for the pic as they fit so well they may be made to go together.  Someone pointed out that these look like C-H swaging dies missing some pieces.  It may be that they are.  I have found one old reloader Digest from '66 and yes the pic looks like the die with the curved base.  Still looking.  JB

Offline Donna

• Contributor
    • http://www.aeroballisticsonline.com
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2003, 08:12:52 PM »
Hello JBMauser, :D

You had to do it :shock:, you mean someone was bending your arm behind your back or had a gun to your head that type of had to do it? Why did you buy them if you don’t know what they are? Were you hoping to get some swaging equipment at a cheap price? Well, the half jackets are the only recognizable thing in the whole batch. You should have bought the SWAGE-O-MATIC from me :wink:, and then you would not be in this mess with unknown equipment that you were hoping to be a good buy on swaging gear.

Donna :roll:
"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20

Offline JBMauser

• Contributor
Had to do it.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 02:37:33 AM »
Well yes, I had to do it.  This was one of those boxed lots of stuff and I said "This may be someting"  of course I am right I just did not know what the something was.  I am not into this for a fortune.  I did get a makeshift .312 sizing die out of it and one of the long dies may work out to resize my 11.5 Danish Rolling block cases which are cut down from 45/70.  I am still thinking of getting the Swag O Matic from you.  Don't beat me up to bad.  I have the McGiver geene.  I have been loading up to three cart. from a single die for some time.  What is stamped on the die is at best a suggestion.   :lol:  Back to the Swag O Matic.  I am looking to see what you can turn out with it.  I am reading my Old Reloaders Digests and such.  I will get to you as soon as I can.  But I guess you are telling me that these dies may not be C-H and fit the Swag O Matic?  JBMauser

Offline wiley

• Trade Count: (32)
  • Avid Poster
Brass threaded
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2003, 06:29:07 AM »
Piece might go to a bullet seater. Different nose sections could be threaded on for different bullet styles. I've never seen that before, and may not be right; but it's sure interesting....
wiley

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2003, 06:20:42 PM »
JB:
The first die looks like a die that went with a Rorschach Swage die set.Not sure from looking at the picture,that pin if is streight or tapered if it is tapered I could have been used for case neck expanding.If so it should have threads in the end with the hole with an adapter for the die,if it is streight it was a ejection pin.
The third picture lookes like my old  hemp swaging dies.Hemp made an adapter for presses like the RCBS or other O type presses.My press was a Lachmiller but it has a 1 1/4x18 thread I think not sure now but they were made with 7/8x14 also.
There are several swaging tools with inturnal threads in the dies like my C&H or my Herters,and Hemp.
Lp.
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.