Author Topic: New stubbing project  (Read 2648 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
New stubbing project
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
I picked up a 12 gauge barrel and stock for the SB2 frame I have sitting around.  I have a very nice .224 blank, 20.5 inches long and .840 diameter to use for the barrel, is is a slow twist 1 in 16, with 4 lands and groves so it needs to be a fast light bullet round.  Was considering a true .223 AI, or something simular, I think I need to stay with a small case diameter size because of the thickness of the barrel at the breach end, I am not knowledgable about the thickness required at the chamber end of a barrel.  Any thoughts on chambering for this would be appreciated.  I will start the stubbing process again now, the chambering will be the last thing.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline glwenzl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: New stubbing project
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
Larry I am just a wanna-be so take this with a grain of salt but IMHO I would not go with a 223 AI and that twist myself… I’d rather see a 9 twist with the AI and go heavier bullets. The .820 dia sounds awful small for a 223 anyhow…. If it was me I would go with either a 218 Bee and if the barrel diameter is in fact safe enough I would consider a “Rimmed” 221 which would be easy to do using 360 D&W or 357 Max cases or what would be really cool is a classic like the 22 High Power

I forgot to add with the 218 Bee in a strong action like a Ruger #1 I get an easy 3700 fps using lilgun powder and a a LFCD and 40 gr V-Max bullets.... It is a neat lil round for shooting PDs with low barrel temps. I have run 3800 fps but it doesn't shoot as well there... (I'd sure like a 218 Bee barrel for my Thomson Center TCR!)

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:02:52 PM »
I was thinking .221 also, maybe with 45gr pills.
I wouldn't want a lot of powder in a 20" barrel.
.222 might be nice too.
I wouldn't bother with more than .223 or .223AI with that barrel length.

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:34 PM »
221 Fireball would be cool. You can run 40 grainers up to 3200 Fps. Larry you have all the barrel you need for this project my 6mmX45 barrel is only .810 in the camber area no issues what so ever,the only thing I see in mine is that the barrel heats up pretty quick. Remington runs at .200 for the 338 RUM cartridge in there model 700's  and thats a 65,000 psi cartridge.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 04:09:34 PM »
I'm thinking a .221 fireball could be good, I really don't want to spend a lot of money on custom dies, and the fireball should be good in the shorter barrel.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
I have the 221 in a CZ and it is a very accurate combination. In a Handi it should do just fine.

Good shooting!

Mc

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »
I have 2 - 221 FireBalls. One is 1 - 12" and the other is 1 - 14". They are a cool round. Something that not everyone has. I also have a 223 with a 1 - 14" twist that shoots lights out with 50 grain bullets. I can not remember what a T/C G2 barrel is in diameter. If what you end up with is at least as big in diameter, I think you would be OK. Remember the 221 FB and 223 run the same camber pressure. The pressure will be for a longer length in the 223, but the same. If you are going to be under the diameter of the T/C, I would drop the pressure level. A 222 does not run quite as hot and of course there is the 22 Hornet. The 1 - 16 was the standard for the Hornet used to use a while back. I probably would not shoot anything over 45 - 46 grains and 40 would probably be better. ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
After I looked up the fireball and saw it was origionally for a varmint pistol I think it would be perfect for a 20 inch rifle barrel.  I will have a go at it I think.  Larry

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 05:03:08 PM »
4d has the reamer and gages and the rental is very reasonable $43.00 for a 10 day rent and that doesn't include shipping times.. Go for it man and keep us updated. Hornady makes a 32 grain bullet that would probably be a real hummer for this round.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 05:08:35 PM »
Tonight I cleaned up the breach end of the barrel and cut threads on the first inch of it.  The diameter is .808 and I cut 20tpi.  I will use part of the shotgun barrel to make a threaded sleave for it, .808 is not large enough for a proper flange in a 12 gauge chamber.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow night when I thread and make the flange.  I probably will rent a reamer, however is kind of burns me to pay about 30% of the cost of a reamer for a half hour job.  Larry

Offline Booyah

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 05:31:25 PM »
I took a Hornet and reamed it to 221 Fireball and it shoots extremely well.  It will shoot a 5 shot group that I can cover with a dime.  The fireball is very nice to shoot and reload. Its not quite as fast as the 223 but it is very sweet to shoot.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »

Larry:

I found this place for reamers as well...seems a little cheaper...http://www.reamerrentals.com/rental_solid_pilots.htm

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 07:09:36 PM »
That's quite a lot better, $43.00 for renting a $150.00 reamer is kind of steep, guess I am in the wrong business.  I'll get the $26.00 one and have a go at it.  Larry

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
Larry I to have inquired with reamer rentals and they require you to rent a roughing reamer for a full camber job (I guesss you can always story to them) for another $10.00 the $43.00 I quoted included the reamer, headspace gages and the freight. Plus I believe they are a GBO sponsor.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »
Because the barrel cleaned up at .808 inch I did not have enough to make a ring at the rear of the barrel for the barrel nut to pull up against.  I bored and threaded part of the 12 gauge barrel and breach end of the barrel  20 tpi and screwed it on for the sholder.  I cut the threads a very tight fit, I put moly grease on the threads and held the sleave with a pipe wrench to screw it on, got reallly hot going down, but it is good and thight.  Now I will start working on the stub, I'll bore it to accept the sleave I put on the barrel and then cut threads on the barrel in front of the stub for the barrel nut to hold everything together.  Larry

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »
Lookin' good Larry. :D

I am home now and measured my T/C 221 FB. You are right there. I guess you knew that already. You will really like it. With the right loads you should get some where around 3200 fps with 40 grain bullets and 3400fps with a 35 grain. A 45 or 46 grain blunt nosed bullet (like a Winchester hollow point) may work for you too. When you get it up and running try Lil' Gun, RL 7 and IMR 4198 in that order. I am sure one of those will work out well for you. Sierra and Hornady have rifle data in their loading books. The Sierra uses a 20" barrel ;)
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 06:44:51 PM »
I got the 12 gauge barrel in the lathe now, this is the third one I have done and this barrel is just as crooked as the others.  The only way to get the breach end square is to put a center in the chamber and then turn the front of the chamber area in front of the lug round for the steady rest to run on.  With this done the barrel by the forearm lug wobbels about .020 inch.  I don't know if the barrels are crooked or if the bore is not in the middle of the barrel.  They all seem to be this way.  Kind of curious if the rifles are the same way.  Larry

Offline dumgunny

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »
Oh MAN! I missed my Vote! .22Savage Hi-Power, or .219 Zipper!
JMH2¢

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 05:35:23 PM »
Didn't do much tonight, I bored the rear of the chamber on the stub to take the collar I put on the barrel.  Got about a half thousanths fit on it, so will put some locktight on it when I assemble it and will be all set.  I'm still not locked in on the chamber, I may go with something like a Bee or one of the older 22 CF's I can still buy ammo for.  Still thinking on this one.  If 22 Jet wasn't so expensive I would go with that one.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 03:31:36 AM »
Larry IIRC your first stub proiject used a .410 barrel then you tried and used a 20 gauge barrel and mentioned it worked out better since there was less metal to remove to fit the stubbed barrel blank into. Do I read this correctly that you are now using a 12 gauge shotgun barrel as the donor? Do you find there is enough metal to work with and are there any other problems or do you think using a 12 is better than using a smaller (20?) gauge barrel as the donor?. Thanks for any info....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
It depends on the diameter of the barrel you will install as to what would be best to start with.  The first two I did were large enough to turn a sholder on and use a 12 gauge barrel.  This barrel was about .800 cleaned up which is too small to make a sholder on and use a 12 gauge, that is why I put a collar on end of the barrel.  If I had started with a 20 gauge I would have just cut threads on the end like I did on the first project.  All just depends on the parts you have to use.  If I had a choice I would just start with a 20 gauge, that would get you covered no matter what barrel you came up with.  Got that .45 ACP shooting yet?  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 01:40:36 PM »
Not yet buddy, the parts are almost assembled and will be shipped out for the gunsmith work as soon as I get the last items in, But first I will complete the conversion of the ejector from a rimmed 20 gauge to a rimless for the .45 ACP. I will drill the hole for the lifter button and install a 30/06 ejector plus lifter button and spring into the donor 20 gauge barrel and send it out for the "critical" work. I sure wish I had your knowledge, ability, and tools to do what you do. Congratulations....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
Cut off the prepared stub end tonight and then bored the remaining chamber straight to about .804 inch.  The forcing cone was off center a full .040 in the barrel, good thing I had enough metal left to bore it centered up. Tomorrow I will taper the barrel and cut some threads on it for the barrel nut.  Larry

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
Had a little setback today.  When finishing the barrel and putting a straight taper on it everything looked great until I looked down the bore, that old blank warped a good 1/8 inch in the middle, so unless I want a rifle that will shoot in circles I guess I need to find another barrel.  I've never had one do that to me, guess it must have had a lot of built up stress and when I turned down the barrel it just went where it wanted to go.  Stand by for round three.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »
Larry, if you are close to finishing it to shooting condition I suggest you do it. Then shoot it without polishing and final touches. Just shoot it for group and see how it does, it may surprise you. It would be a shame to waste it. I have seen barrels that were off center at the muzzle end shoot pretty good, well enough for hunting and then some....<><....:)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2007, 09:50:04 AM »
I don't think I will put any more effort into a bent barrel, I will just start over, the stub is good, and I have a 14 cal stainless barrel on the way, I may just make this project up in 14 Walker, (14-221), that would be something you don't see every day.  Larry

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2007, 12:32:37 PM »
Your the boss Larry, and I think you are probably right, you have to know when to pull the pin on a project. And because of the bent barrel/crooked bore it would never be right....<><....:)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2007, 01:01:15 PM »
I think if I were to do a 45 ACP barrel I would start with a .410 barrel, run a piloted drill down it to make a 5/8th inch hole and then just epoxy one of these in the hole.  Cut a chamber and you are done.  Larry

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(nx0l1oa1awn4himnfulpp5q5))/categories/tableList.aspx?catId=14&subId=142&styleId=483&PageSize=25&Page=2

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »
Those look nice Larry, I sure wish I had the equipment and expertise. But I do have a good gunsmith making one for me....<><....:)