Author Topic: YES ... it's OUT !!!  (Read 789 times)

Offline Evil Dog

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
YES ... it's OUT !!!
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions on how to remove an epoxied in reduction sleeve that wasn't quite bottomed out in the existing bore.  Cannonmn gets bragging rights for the winning solution.  I've never been a fan of Harbor Freight tools, but in this case one of their 20 buck weed burners did the trick.  Supported the barrel as best I could on some cinderblocks and tried to heat it fairly evenly.  Once I saw a puff of smoke from the original vent hole I was pretty sure the epoxy was melted or nearly so.  There was just enough liner beyond the muzzle to get a pipe wrench on it... at first it wouldn't budge but after another 5 minutes or so heating it finally started to turn.  That is when I knew for sure that one way or another it would come out.  Managed to get it backed out another inch or so by twisting it with the pipe wrench then suspended it by the breech end.  A 12' stepladder with a block and tackle served the purpose.  Heated the barrel just a little more and gravity did the rest.

Will get everything cleaned up and then put it back in probably on Sunday.  This time though I think that I will shove it home and then weld it in place at the muzzle.

Again, thanks to all of your for your most appreciated suggestions.
Evil Dog

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Freedom is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote. - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Offline lance

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: YES ... it's OUT !!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 03:24:28 PM »
 what a bummer, i've been watching and waiting to see what happens, and you didn't even get it on video ;D ;D ;D
PALADIN had a gun.....I have guns, mortars, and cannons!

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 03:33:57 PM »
Oh man.... you mean I gotta glue this thing back in and do it all over again for video?
Evil Dog

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »
Great news! I'm extremely glad to have been proven wrong.  ;D

In my biz I have to start with the worst-case scenario and work up from there. If I say it can't be done but manage to do it anyway, I'm a hero. But if I say it can be done and then screw it up, I'm liable for the damage. Stinks, but that's the way it is.

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 06:09:05 AM »
I am thinking that the thing slid out because of the force of trapped complressed air behind the breech. If the liner is going to be in there forever, maybe a small air bleed hols should be drilled into the breech area so that the air pressure has someplace to bleed out.

Offline Evil Dog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 06:25:29 AM »
While it was suspended from the breech end, once the epoxy melted gravity took over and the sleeve slid right out.  I'd previously drilled a small vent hole to verify that there was indeed an air space between the end of the sleeve and the existing breech face.  This hole also served as a vacuum breaker when it the sleeve started to go.  I've since cleaned everything up and re-inserted the sleeve.  Measured the depth of the existing bore and the length of the sleeve... would expect approx 3/32" of the sleeve to extend beyond the existing muzzle.    When I slid the sleeve in there was a very satisfying "thunk" as it bottomed out leaving the expected 3/32" exposed.  Will be threading up a piece of 3/8" brass rod to make a vent liner out of and that will also help secure the breech end.  Once I am done I will have a golfball bored Napoleon with no less than 1.5" walll thickness at any point (also with 2 seamless liners, one inside the other).
Evil Dog

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 07:45:56 AM »
NSSA calls for some method of locking the liner to barrel.  Switlik shows a simple screw in the muzzle used to lock the liner to the bore.