Author Topic: My recent Knight Experience  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
My recent Knight Experience
« on: December 01, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
I needed a breech plug and a few items..... call Knight and ordered the Breech Plug, a wrench and capping tool.  So far so good...

The envelope arrived today (pretty fast it was ordered on the 27th) and it contained an obviously used breech plug ..... covered in carbon and near clogged with crap.  No wrench in the envelope.

Essentially I spent over $50 just for a used breech plug.  I am not happy.  I can understand if they test fire pieces but this was filthy.  My hunting partner has the same breech plug and his never even get's that dirty after a day at the range.  I can't believe they mailed it to me that way.  No explanation in the envelope..... no invoice.

I spent 30 minutes cleaning the breech plug.  Got the residue and carbon off and even had to use a prick to clean the opening. My entire muzzle loader usually take me 30 minutes!

I hope I get a reasonable explanation for this garbage.  Sorry....had to vent.
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: My recent Knight Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:48:20 AM »
I always get good CS at knight. Give them a call and don't speak to the same person you did before. They should send you a new one along with a wrench. Did they send you your capping tool?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »
Yes I did get the capping tool.  They will be getting a call from me in the am. 
My other passion is Boating!! http://forums.iboats.com/index.php?referrerid=1642 Find me there with the same ID.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
That is very strange of knight. All I have gotten was great cs. So all you got was that in a envelope. They normally send UPS when I ordered from them.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:08:15 PM »
4 X 6 padded envelope mailed from Knight.  I will update after my call to them tomorrow.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »
Ok. Sounds good.

Rick

Offline Bob_VT

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »
Okay called first thing this morning.

Knight stated the breech plug was not used ..... just dirty from being around.  I cleaned it up and it has black powder residue on it and in it but I was told it was oil that had collected dirt.  I am a bit suspicious.

The wrench will be mailed and there was no explanation of why or how it was missed.

The "invoice" is going to be mailed separately.......

They could not understand why I was pissed.... basically it is my feeling that they did not accept any fault and it was my fault. 

Later I received an email from them and they did apologize for the inconvenience. They promised the wrench would be mailed out Tuesday.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
That's very strange for knight. Are you sure it was black power and not some sort of preservative so it doesn't rust? At least you get your wrench for it. If this happens again I would try to talk to someone who is above the person you are in contact with now.

Rick

Offline jonv

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 11:31:12 PM »
I have had nothing but GREAT experience's with Knight Customer Service, I have a BK92 in.54 that is still very accurate, I just converted to 209 primer, supplied capping tool wouldn't work so after a phone call to Knight C/S they sent me one that will work-NO Charge.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:25:03 AM »
I do believe this was an isolated event or something has happened in the last 2 weeks.

Rick

Offline frogee

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 05:12:28 AM »
Hi, I'm really glad to see the knight forum.
I recently purchased a NIB Knight Bighorn from a dealer on an online auction. When I got the gun I went to work to clean it real good and get all the packing grease out of the barrel. Then I went over the outside of the barrel with some gun oil as I am accustomed to doing anytime I handle my guns.
Much to my dismay, the paper towel I was using came up orange, more precisely I would say, rust
colored. This was in late September or early October. I went ahead and shot the gun a few times and
actually got it shooting real good. However, after cleaning the gun each time I'd go over the barrel with gun oil and get the same result, more surface rust coming off on the rag. I called Knight and
, after some frustrating moments Iwas finally able to convince the guy that I was talking about the outside of the barrel not the inside. He just said send it in after hunting season. I just got the feeling that he wanted to get me off the phone as soon as possible and that most of his responses were something he was reading off a card.
I then sent an email to Knight explaining the problem and I am still waiting for a response ( It has been over a month I think). Well I have about 5 more days of Muzzleloader season and then I will send the gun in and see how their customer service treats me. I will keep you posted.
Art
BTW Except for the bad job of bluing I really like the gun

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 06:20:56 AM »
That is the first I have heard of that. I have had great service with them. I would resend my email because it could have got lost in the mix they get everyday. I haven't had any problems with rust on mine. Now how good did you clean the the stuff off the barrel? Because some could have got left behind. I would be sending it back as soon as I talked to someone else on the phone.

Rick

Offline frogee

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
I clean the barrel to the point that no more "orange" comes off. I can tell you that if I went out to the shop and did it now my paper towel would turn orange. The last time I cleaned and oiled the gun was just this past Saturday. I have never seen anything like this before either. I had someone on another forum tell me that it sounded like the salts used in the bluing process were never neutralized and that I should soak the barrel in a baking soda solution. I am reluctant to do that and would rather see Knight deal with the problem.
Art

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 07:38:57 AM »
This is the first time I have heard of this also. I don't think baking soda will hurt it though if you dry all water off and oil it good. Its worth a try in my mind.

Rick

Offline encore58

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »
I have had nothing but great service from Knight. I own a SS Bighorn that is a tack driver.
They sent me a new front sight free because the original was shooting too low.

The rust may be cosmoline. I have has orange material come off many new blued barrels. If it is not pitted I wouldn't set it. Just keep cleaning it with Kroil oil until no more comes off. You don't need to soak it baking soda.
Release the hounds!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
That's exactly what I thought it was when he told me about it. I am still sure what it is though. How did Knight treat you by the way after you sent it back?

Rick

Offline frogee

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:25 AM »
The orange is rust....not anything else but rust. I sent the rifle to knight over three weeks ago and still have not heard a word back from them. I have called once and l got an answering machine. I left a message and have received no reply back. They still have not responded to the email I sent them either. I have always heard good things about knight and their service but I have to tell you I am having serious doubts. I am still hoping for the best though.
Art

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:02:03 AM »
Try sending another. They probably are just opening back up. You sent it at the worst time. Christmas and the Holidays.

Rick

Offline frogee

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:32:11 AM »
I sent the gun exactly when they told me too...after our hunting season ended. As far as not answering my my email or responding to my voice messages all I can say is that their Holiday season is very lengthy indeed.
Art

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »
frogee,

Sorry to hear of the problem with your Knight. A lot of Company's shut down for two full weeks over the Holidays, I'm sure they have  a TON of calls and e-mails to sort through when they get back. I would give them a fresh call and e-mail on Monday, they should be back by then. Knight will take care of it, it was just a bad time to get speedy service.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline encore58

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:42 PM »
What is the story on the seller at Gunbroker. He may have stored the gun outside in a poll barn for all anyone knows or in damp conditions. Where did he buy this barrel from (dealer)?
Be thankful Knight is going to ultimately make it right. Something sounds weird about the entire experience here.
Release the hounds!

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »
You know the more I think about it I had a old Traditions ML I got on sale at Bass Pro and After every range session I would clean it very good until the bore would shine and then the next day I would take out the breach plug and the barrel was full of the orange and black. It looked like it just had been fired again so then I would clean it again and put more oil on it and put it back up and it done this day after day. To save the barrel I was cleaning it every day until I traded it for a cheap PSE (Nova) bow. The guy I traded it do had to lock tight in the bases but now hes cleaning it like that and the outside is starting. Maybe they got a bad barrel blank? The more I think about it the barrel must be screwed up. Is your receiver on the gun doing this also? Or is it just the barrel?

Rick

Offline frogee

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 02:52:20 AM »
Listen, I want you to know I am not trying to bash Knight here. I really like the way this bighorn shoots. The gun was purchased from a dealer and it was brand new in the box. InKnight's owner's manual it states that if there are issues with the gun I should contact them NOT the dealer so that is what I am doing. I don't know why I should feel particularly thankful if a company backs a defective barrel. It seems to me that when you buy a new gun you should not have these kind of problems and if you do,you certainly aren't asking too much to have the company make it right. I try my utmost to take the best care of all my guns and my fear with this one is that the barrel will rust and pit in the future no matter how good I take care of it. Then it would be too late to try to get something done... they would say I didn't clean and oil it properly.
I don't believe the receiver was rusting like the barrel.
Thanks,
Art

PS Most of the dealer's around here don't stock knight guns so that is why I bought it on gunbroker.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 06:50:28 AM »
Ohh ok then I would bet that they got a bad barrel blank.

Rick

Offline frogee

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 04:45:29 AM »
I talked to Sam at Knight Rifles today. He had looked at my gun and the rust colored paper towel from the last time I had oiled the barrel just before I sent it in. He said that sometimes blued barrels will do this at first and he didn't think it was a problem. I mentioned how other blued barrels I own had not done this....he really didn't know what the difference was. He is going to make a note of it so that if, in the future, I have a problem with the barrel rusting and pitting something awful they will replace the barrel at that time. That's ok with me because that's what I was mainly worried about. In a way I'm glad to get the same barrel back because I know how well it shoots. It was nice to finally talk to someone in person that I felt knew right from left. I am satisfied for now....and I hope I never have a worse problem with this barrel surface rusting. Maybe when my ship comes in I will get a black ice treatment on it or something similar.
Art

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 11:14:17 AM »
When I get my settlement from when I got laid off from the plant, I am going to have all of my stainless ML's coated with the Black Ice Coatings and maybe my Encore system.

Rick