Author Topic: Searching for 22K Hornet info  (Read 816 times)

Offline siamese4570

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
Searching for 22K Hornet info
« on: October 03, 2007, 03:25:52 AM »
I can't seem to find the search function.  I know that this has been discussed before.  Got a Handi 22 Hornet and am beginning to see why people convert to the "K" (sizing is a little tedious).  Anybody done this conversion?  Opinions?  How a good gunsmith to do the conversion, I'm a little nervous about trying it.  Thanks!

Siamese4570

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Searching for 22K Hornet info
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 05:19:20 AM »
PM sent.........

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 07:07:49 PM »
I wouldn't want to talk you out of doing the K Hornet conversion, I understand the K Hornet is a good one. However, I have found that loading for my handi hornet is much more enjoyable when I use the Lee collet neck sizer and the 40 gr VMax. The neck sizer takes all of the hassle out of sizing and does a better job than full resizing. The neck sized case is formed to my chamber and holds a bit more powder. The 40 VMax is a boat tail bullet and is very easy to load. It drops in straight and doesn't hang up on the rim and get crooked. Great accuracy is a bonus with the VMax.

Bob A

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:48 PM »
With the development of Lil'Gun powder, the Hornet has taken on new life. It develops high velocity at lower pressures, extending case life. One member posted that he wises now that he did not convert to the K-Hornet that he has discovered Lil'Gun. I used to shoot WW 296 in mine and the cases would last for 4 of 5 reloadings and then would start to separate just above the web. The main advantage to the K-Hornet was the extended case life, but the Lil'gun has helped there too. It is nice to have something different. The dies run a little more money for K-Hornet.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:02:44 AM »
 Bob A.

Good points about the 40 V Max.  Did you test various seating depths with it for best accuracy?  If so what were your results?

To date it is the most accurate in my Hornet.  I spoke to a company whom tested the Nosler,Hornady & Sierra 40 gr. B-Tips in ballistics gel down to 1600 fps.  They said at the lower velocity the Sierra Blitzking still completely disintegrateded, followed by the Hornady V Max which fragmented but rather into larger chunks and last the Nosler as expected with it's tapered jacket,heavy base.

Anyone here compare the 40 V Max and Sierra Blitzking same on varmints for expansion in real life?  I get pass throughts with the 40 V Max on Woodchucks (muzzle 2825 fps ) at all but the closest distance.  The exit may well be the base though, as it certainly hits them hard and they appear tore up inside by the gurgle sound when flipped over.  In those bullets maybe the 40 gr V Max is a better choice for Coyote and the Sierra Blitzking better for smaller varmints?

I plan on testing some Blitzkings,  just wondering if anyone has already compared?

Bill

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »
I have done the conversion, I am not sure it is worth it anymore, Proper sizing procedure either neck or partial full lenght sizing, can mediate the weakness inherent in the hornet case and lil' gun keeps the performance up and pressures down.

Any decent smith can do it, a competent homer can do it as well.

Make sure to match the reamer to the die set RCBS and Redding use different shoulder angles.

If you think sizing is a pain try fire forming too, my smith recommended not firing factory ammo in mine mainly since it was not a true conversion, you can't shorten a barrel  and cut a guaranteed clean chamber. you run the reamer in and hope it is close to spec. Using fire formed brass and properly setting your sizing die will ensure that it is safe.

Now there is still a performance gain 100- 200 fps, with published data, there are guys pushing past that but I am not one of those.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 07:10:32 AM »

Bill,

I did test for optimum seating with the 40 VMax. I found that a COL of 1.866 - 1.874 gave me the best groups. This a approx .060 off the lands.
The Hornady data book says to seat this bullet at 1.810 COL. I started there and used 1.810 to find my best load of Lil'gun. Once I had the load, I tested for COL. Obviously, 1.810 is pretty far of the lands but Saami spec is 1.723. I understand there are many rifles out there that have magazines that won't load at 1.87. The Sierra Blitzking has a recommended COL at 1.72.
I got pretty good accuracy from the Speer 33gr TNT. COL is 1.68. This is a really short, stubby bullet but it really blows up. However, I found it to be a pain to load. Bullet is too small for me to handle with my big clumbsy hands. Just the opposite of the Long, Boat Tail VMax.

And - I agree with everyone about Lil'gun. Its the Hornet powder.

Bob A

Offline glwenzl

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 04:13:18 PM »
My NEF 22 Hornet out-shot my 77/22 Hornet and I liked it just the way it was but had a chance to get it K'd for a few bucks and did it.... I like the K-Hornet mostly for looks right now and they say longer case life but I have not had a big problem with that before. Gained nothing on velocity or accuracy but it sure looks cool! Lilgun is the powder I also use

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 06:53:29 AM »

Bill,

I did test for optimum seating with the 40 VMax. I found that a COL of 1.866 - 1.874 gave me the best groups. This a approx .060 off the lands.
The Hornady data book says to seat this bullet at 1.810 COL. I started there and used 1.810 to find my best load of Lil'gun. Once I had the load, I tested for COL. Obviously, 1.810 is pretty far of the lands but Saami spec is 1.723. I understand there are many rifles out there that have magazines that won't load at 1.87. The Sierra Blitzking has a recommended COL at 1.72.
I got pretty good accuracy from the Speer 33gr TNT. COL is 1.68. This is a really short, stubby bullet but it really blows up. However, I found it to be a pain to load. Bullet is too small for me to handle with my big clumbsy hands. Just the opposite of the Long, Boat Tail VMax.

And - I agree with everyone about Lil'gun. Its the Hornet powder.

Bob A

Huh  ;)  We are pretty close on findings Bob.  Just checked my notes for the 40 vmax.  I had 1.937 to the lands which would be .063 to your 1.874.  So we are with in .003.  I found for best accuracy it liked to jump also.  Thanks for the TN'T tip.