Author Topic: A very bad day Groundhog hunting!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1313 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
A very bad day Groundhog hunting!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: October 06, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
I have not been out Groundhog hunting or to the range for about a month. I realized today just how out of practice you can get in such little time!!! :(  My back has been killing me and missed a few days work this past week because of it. I have been going stir crazy so I decided to drive out to a few farms I hunt Groundhogs. I can sit in the truck till I see one. Then I get out and pop him. This does not hurt my back much. ;D I saw three this morning and missed two. I never even got a shot off at the third. I was shooting off the hood of the truck with a bi pod. The first one was about 300+ yards. I shot and never saw him run. I walked to the place I shot him and found no signs I hit him. He may have made it back in his hole before I could find him in the glass again. I could have still hit him but I am not sure. The second one was about 100 yards. I have my rifle sighted in at 200 yards so I would be nearly .75 high at 100 yards. I may have just shot over him. Not sure. I know I would not missed either of these shots a month ago. All I can say practice practice practice. If you just lose a little time at the range or a field you will notice. The good thing that came out of this though is I know where three more of them live and they won't be living there much longer!!! ;D      Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: A very bad day Groundhog hunting!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »

Yup...Practice makes Perfect...

Then again...as my good wife always says to me..." Everything for a reason..."...Maybe you was supposed to miss them...so they could make merry and more little Ghogs...Or ...so you would practice more so you won't miss that big ole 14 pointer when the time comes...either way..you did get out and set in some shooting...It's not all about the "kill" is it...ehh ;) ;) :D

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:32:08 AM »
Have you shot off of your hood before? A truck (or car) hood has bounce to it. It maybe enough to throw your shot. A bi-pod reacts differently to different surfaces. It will shoot differently off a hard surface than a soft one. Then again you may just be a poor shot and need some more trigger time.  :o :o;D ;D ;D
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:41:56 AM »
May want to try a rear bunny ear bag with the bi-pod.

I took three last evening on a little hike out back with the 17hmr.

This is the last, nearly a black one about 135-140 paces.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y276/Bill1227/IMG_1986.jpg

17hmr / 20gr HP

Indian summer up here.  Hockey season started and the Woodchucks are still out  ;)

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:26:08 AM »
Yea I have shot a bunch of them off the hood. Many past 300 yards. I new when I squeezed the trigger I pulled the shot. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:50:07 AM »
Dale,

Seems to me that you are from PA. If that's the case I will try to save you from  embarrassment and paying fines because it's against the law to have a loaded rifle IN or ON a motor vehicle. You'll find that information on page 20 of the current book of regulations. There are exceptions for holders of handicapped permits and carry permit holders but these don't apply to long guns unless you would also have the handicap permit.
Over the years I have known of several people that have been arrested while sighting in their rifles from the hood of their vehicles.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
 I do not think this applies to private land but if it does I will stop. Many times I use a folding saw horse from the back of my truck.     Dale

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 09:04:07 AM »
Washington state law is the same as Pennsylvania...

Loaded Firearms and Vehicles

A firearm is considered loaded when there is live ammunition in either the chamber or attached magazine. It is unlawful to (1) have a loaded firearm in, on or against any motor vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle is moving or stationary;

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=466&q=152078
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Odinbreaker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
In Wisconsin the gun must be unloaded and in a case if in or leaning against a vehicle.  It is a $207 fine and the DNR loves to give them out.  I carry a folding chair to put my guns on.
Working hard to go Broke!

Offline glwenzl

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:54:18 AM »
I thought shooting nuisance critters like GHs is practice... Practice that is for real hunting  ;D

It is important to know the laws and abide by them.... In some states it is legal to be on private property and shoot from a vehicle that is not moving... Some farmer/ranchers use this method on PDs to thin the pest out some but unfortunately most are resorting to poison now-a-days

Poor method to shoot on windy days but works real well if it is calm out. There is a nice bag on the window...

Sometimes it is nice to be able to take a close drive by out in a pasture with something like this, my 5mm Mag or an Anschutz 10" 17 HMR but I mostly prefer to shoot from a bench or better yet from the prone using a bipod but off hand shooting PDs is great practice too

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »
In Alabama the law allows you to shoot from your vehicle so long as the motor is not running and you are off the right of way of the road and you do not shoot across or down the road. That allows old farts like me that can't walk the hills any longer at least a wee bit of a chance to pretend we're still hunting.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 02:46:35 PM »
Check it out!

This is why I'm glad I hunt in Texas!

http://blog.uripides.com/2007/10/05/texas-hunting-vehicle/
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:56:26 PM »
Very cool!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Do you think it is a boat also? I just don't approve of mixing alcohol and firearms. Dale

Offline Jimbo47

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »
I wouldn't either, but you'd have to admit anything that would show itself when this rig came by would probably require using your 1000 yard rifle, and then it would be an unethical running shot to boot!

Naw I doubt those who are using this rig really care about shooting anything but the bull!

Can't believe there would be a landowner who would allow it, but this is Texas and stranger things have happened!
My culled down Handi's are the 45-70, and then I have a few others to keep it company...357 Mag/Max. .45 LC/.454 Casull Carbine, .243 Ultra, and 20 gauge Tracker II.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:24:54 PM »
If I ever win a big powerball lottery,I'm buying me the biggest,badest,elephant to hunt from.They do it in India,so why not here? ::) ::) ::) You could have the elephant carry you game out for you in its trunk and it could even hold Stimpylu up. :o :o :o  Digger ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
That thing looks like a combination modified V flatbottom grain wagon fertilizer spreader Congrats on the 1000 posts Digger.
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 04:49:19 PM »
You know Dale, if you had been shooting a Handi instead of that RemChester you would have nailed them all.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »
Thanks Larry I can always count on you to bust my ba**s. That's ok I know you are just having fun with me. I do have a camera working now and took some pictures of my new 243 Rem SPS if you want to check them out over there at the Rem. forum. You should love them I painted the stock camo. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127732.0.html         Dale

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 04:58:36 AM »
Hey, a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.

We have all missed before.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2007, 08:31:54 AM »

We have all missed before.

miss whats that ?? i don't miss i use handi rifles they don't miss. after all the handi rifle is god rifle of choise
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »
Right on Mitchell.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:04 PM »
I did'nt know there was such a word as miss,until I started shooting Handi's. ;D ;D ;D ;D Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 12:40:32 PM »
I did'nt know there was such a word as miss,until I started shooting Handi's. ;D ;D ;D ;D Digger
;D