Author Topic: Superlight Youth .223 has arrived!  (Read 767 times)

Offline PeterCartwright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Superlight Youth .223 has arrived!
« on: September 27, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »
Cute!  That's the only word I can think of to describe this tiny, little black rifle.  A dealer friend basically ordered the rifle for me at cost + shipping.  (How sweet is that!)  Testing will be limited to open sights for a while (until I can find some other place to raid a few bucks for base/rings/and scope).  Lock up appears tight and positive.  And the real surprise is the trigger-it's really very nice!  Gotta go to Wally World this evening (that constitutes a "night out" for Yoopers  ;D)  I'll see if they have any .223 stuff there.  (A quick perusal of Midway indicates there are plenty of .223 components and loaded hunting ammo available inspite of the shortage of more common FMJ 5.56 stuff).

The dimensions on this gun are positively diminutive!  It's so short, it doesn't reach the racks in my safe, so it hides unobtrusively against the back wall. If this little rifle shoots anywhere near acceptably, it should be just the thing for some of our younger shooters! 

I'll file a report.  (I know, I know, I've got to get a digital camera).

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Re: Superlight Youth .223 has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:49:37 AM »
Those little superlights are cute aren't they? I love the compactness of them. What are you going to scope it out with when you do?
I look forward to hearing a report with what ever ammo you decide to pick up.
Congrats and good shooting to you 8)

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:03:19 PM »
Congrats!! Check the FAQs when you get ready to order a scope rail for it, there are several options and sources. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
Thanks, Tim, I'll check the FAQs.

Myarmor:  I like Leopold M8 4X scopes.  Guess I'll try to find a used M8 compact to match the dimensions of the rifle.  (Their objective lens is, I think, only 33mm easily allowing low rings).

Picked up some plain box 50gr. Remington hollowpoints at Wally World tonight.  Can't wait to make the black rifle go "bang".

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »
I'm thinking about putting a 4x32 Weaver shotgun scope on my .243 Superlight once I get the load work done, they're on closeout at Natchez for $80, nice Japan made optics, 9.5" long, 8.7oz. ;)

Tim

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849421&src=BA435

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »
A nice little VX-1 2-7x32 would be a cool choice too for the little fella.
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2841
I haven't tried those Remy's but I have tried the Core-Loks and they shot pretty good out of mine after the break in period. But mine is a 1-12. Are these the UMC yellow box 50gr Remingtons?

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 03:17:06 AM »
Thanks, Tim, for the "heads up" on that scope.  Looks like a very good deal.  Aaron, this ammo is the double box (40 rds) in a half white/half green box.  The case necks are annealed and the hollowpoint 50 gr. bullet appears flat-based (if the picture on the box reflects what really inside).

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:03:01 AM »
Preliminary range report:  Since today is supposed to be my "day off", I wandered over the range to play with my new toy.  I stuck a 5.5" "Shoot and See" target up on the 50 yard line (because that's a far as I knew I could see open sights with my 53 year old eyes), set up some sand bags, and squinted at fuzzy sights.  First three shots out of a cold barrel measured almost exactly 1" center to center.  Next three opened to 1.25".  Nice.

I experienced some vertical stringing as the barrel warmed up, but that may be attributable to the old eyes behind the sights.  I had a challenging time with the elevation sight picture.

Fired a total of 17 shots over an hour or so.  As predicted, the groups began to open up even more as the barrel warmed up...and I discovered it takes a while for this barrel to cool down.  That extended cool down time makes sense, too, because even though this is a "Superlight" contour, there's a heck of a lot of mass around that tiny bore.  I'm very, very pleased with this project so far.  Looks most promising!

I'll be interested to see how this raskal handles the Barnes 53 gr. TSX and the Nosler 60 gr. Partition after I get some optics on it.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »
I just picked up an as new .223 Superlight youth barrel and mated it to an SB2 reciever and a a set of synthetic adult stocks. The idea was for a nice light compact gun to keep in the truck for the occasional shot at a coyote or varmint within about 100 yards, thats why I am hoping to stay with the iron sights. I am more interested in the first or first and second shot for this "hunting gun" and not really worried about the problems associated with the warming up of the barrel and increased group size. It seems as if it may work for the job I have in mind for it. The job opening is up between my liightweight .22-50 Handi barrel and this newly acquired Superlight yoiuth .223 barrel. I guess I could just use them both....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »
Hey MSP!  I recall seeing your post earlier.  I'm like you, I'm not intending for this gun to go on a prairie dog shoot.  Nor do I plan to look for a fire fight ;D.  So shifting impact as the barrel heats up isn't really much of an issue for me.  If your barrel shoots like this one before it's even broken in, we should both do very well!

I'm planning to scope this one (since it will be used to help introduce youngsters to deer hunting) but if I wanted a "knock around" gun, I might consider putting a receiver sight on it.  I see that Williams makes a Fool Proof model to fit the Handi.  Then again, maybe your eyes aren't so crotchety as mine!

In any case, good luck on your project.  Keep us all posted.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
I got the Weaver 4x32 mounted in lapped super low Burris Zee rings, also shortened the scope rail and added another slot further to the rear to accomodate the small scope, looks pretty darned good and weighs just 6lbs-13oz. ;)

Tim

Offline PeterCartwright

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
Hey, that looks great, Tim!  I ordered the same scope this week.  Hopefully by next week, I'll have a .223 version ready to play with. 

I was pleased with the preliminary shooting last week (albeit with open sights and only 50 yards).  In the mean time, I've ordered both loaded 60 gr. Noslers (Black Hills blue box stuff) and the components to "roll my own".  Seems like I remember reading that the Handi .223 is throated pretty long.  If that's true of mine, I think I'll seat the 60 gr. Noslers out a lot further than the factory stuff.

I'm also anxious to pick up some 53 gr. TSX's.  Seems like that would be the ultimate "cartridge stretcher" if whitetails are on the menu.

Finally, I can see a .243 barrel in my future as well, though I think I'll opt for the standard weight.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
Sounds like you're all ready to have some fun!! ;D

Tim

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »
Tim, your 223 looks great! I really like the camo!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Thanks, the stock is available from H&R if ya want one, it's synthetic, part number is in the FAQs on the Retail Parts list page. ;)

Tim