Author Topic: kel-tec su 16 or ak 47 folder?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
kel-tec su 16 or ak 47 folder?
« on: October 11, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
looking at both, i want something that stores compact, cheap to shoot, fairly accurate, rugged, and not really expensive.
 thought about a mini 14 with aftermarket folder.  dont want an ar 15.
 what are your thoughts?
 thanks!

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: kel-tec su 16 or ak 47 folder?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
Got one of those SU-16Cs, and was very impressed.  As long as you don't try to make it into something it is not, it will serve you well.

With the stock folded it fits under the seat of my pickup with room to spare (I use a 20rd mag, but the stock will still fold over 30 rounder).  Also easily fits into an overnight bag for carrying into a hotel room. 

The buttstock has quite a bit of flex to it, so don't try to buttstroke anyone with it, but the whole thing weighs 4.5 pounds.

It also can hold tighter groups than my M4 (CMMG) and has been very reliable so far. 

Icing on the cake is that it is made in the USA.

I can highly recommend.

Scout34

Offline coopershooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:44:49 AM »
Thanks for the Info!
 What kind of groups are you getting at 100 yards? How do you like the sights? Is the trigger any good? Is it easy to clean?
  I have heard the recoil was light for such a light weapon, have you found the same?
 thanks!
 bob.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »
There is No replacement for, or Equal to the AK-47, if you already have Enough AK's, considering something else may be a option.. But, Can you have enough AK's ?   :-\

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 05:45:18 AM »
The sights are very rudimentary; a simple peep and post that are adjustable with a phillips head screwdriver and an M-16 type tool.  They are aluminum and more rugged than the earlier plastic versions.  The rear aperture lines up with the front protective ears quite well, and are mounted low on a Mil-Std 1913 type rail that would allow for easy mounting of some type of red dot reflex sight.

Trigger is pretty good compared to an AR out of the box.  Almost two stage with a bit of take up, followed by a fairly crisp break.  Not sure of the weight, but around 4.5 lbs.

Op rod system ensures easy cleaning, no goo vented into the chamber. 

Controls are all ergonomic and allow for one handed use (trigger finger operates safety and mag release).

Groups have been between 1" and 2" depending on ammo with 62gr Wolf polymer coated running at two inches.  With a gun this light, that's not bad at all.  In fact I can say that this gun shoots more accurately than any M4 that I've ever qualified with in the Army.

Just as reliable as an AK, though not as sturdy.  It has far outshot any AK I've ever owned and the price is comparable.  Easy mag availability is a bonus.

Not a battle carbine, but tops in concealability and handiness.

Hope this helps.