Author Topic: Venison Sausage Spicy Hopefully  (Read 355 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Venison Sausage Spicy Hopefully
« on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:23 PM »
Just got done mixing up 25 pounds of it. About 15 pounds Venison (from last fall) and 10.5 pounds Pork Trimmings half and half. (Half Fat Half Meat) Bought the Pork Trim at the store for .99 a pound. Went to an other store that is also a butcher shop and smokehouse and bought Cajun Seasoning that they use for Fresh and Smoked Sausage. It comes prepacked for 25 pounds of meat. Spice company is called Hamms. Gonna let it sit over night and tomorrow will link it up and try my new Sausage Stuffer I bought at a rummage sale for 15 bucks. One of those curved tube ones with the lever Porkerts is the brand it was like new and the two largest tubes were with it. It is missing the smaller tubes for like Wieners and snack sticks ect but I can buy one of them later if need be but I do not have a good place to set up a smoker anyway so probably will not bother with the small one. As long as the hog casing one is there and the larger one that should be all I need anyway.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline rockbilly

Re: Venison Sausage Spicy Hopefully
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:23:50 AM »
I like to mix mine at a 3 to 1 ratio, and use "Adkins Farm Style Sausage Seasoning." (American Spice and Seasoning Co, DALLAS, TX)  Cut the venison and pork into pieces no larger than two inches, mix the spices in very well, let set over night at about 36-38 degrees, mix again the next day before grinding.  Meat always grids best when just slightly above freezing.  To do the link sausage, I add additional ground red pepper, a couple of tablespoons of "Claude's Brisket Marinade, and two-three tablespoons of brown sugar.  Let set overnight, grind and stuff.  The marinade adds a hint of smoked flavor and helps the flavor even when doing them on a grill.

Dang, I'm outta here to go get something to eat....................

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:07:06 PM »
I have a regular sausage stuffer so I can use already ground meat instead of the cube and grind method which is the only good way to do it with a grinder and stuffer attachment. I found out the hard way other wise the meat gets too fine in the caseings almost like hotdog consistancy. Anyway, Good Spice mix,  it was tangy and spicey but not overbearingly hot with a hint of Sage so I put some into links and some I put bulk in one pound packages for breakfast patties.  I had some for lunch and supper and am well satisfied on the taste.  I will be making this again.  I agree about the meat crystalized (just about Frozen) It makes grinding much easier expecially Fatty Pork.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »
I have a commercial grinder I bought at a garage sale many years ago, it came with several different grinding blades and the attachment for stuffing sausage.  With this machine I can go from cubed meat to a sausage grind  straight into the casing for link sausage.  One step, so easy. 

With the machine I was using prior to this one it took about 3-4 hours to grind 50 pounds of meat.  With the commercial machine I can do it in about 30 minutes.  It takes a little longer if stuffing casings.

Enjoy your sausage.............I hope to have some ready in a week or so.  I picked up my game camera yesterday, in two week it had 456 photos of deer and hogs.  I sure wish I knew how to post them, I would be proud to show off the seventeen pointer standing in the entrance to an old loading chute.  It looks like this is going to be a great year, I have doe running out my ears, and several very respectable bucks.  There were also several large hogs, larger than I like to eat, but plenty of smaller ones to go in the sausage mix.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
Good luck hunting I wish we had hogs here we did for a year or two last year and the year before as some excaped from a game farm and of course you know how hogs breed they were getting a good start then the DNR stepped in and their employees shot a lot of them plus they told the pubic to also. So much for hog hunting now.  :'(  DNR does not want them to get started say they cause too much damage to land . Maybe they do but it still would be neat to have a huntable population around here.