Author Topic: Custom gun case  (Read 430 times)

Offline ryans63

• Trade Count: (0)
Custom gun case
« on: October 06, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »
I am making a custom case for my pistol and I am cutting out a “hole” in the foam that is the same outline and deep enough so the gun doesn’t sit above the top of the foam.  Basically I am making a recessed hole in the foam that my gun will sit in. I then want to cover the foam with a nice soft felt fabric so it kinda looks like this:                         

http://www.cal-graf.com/coltoak.jpg 

but I don’t want the felt to have any creases in it like this case does.  How do I cover the recessed hole and not have the felt wrinkle/crease like this case does, I would like to use only one piece of fabric so there are no seems or lines you can see because I used to separate pieces of fabric.  Meaning I want it all to be very smooth with no wrinkles/creases/lines you can see that it is not all one piece of fabric.  How do I do this???
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: Custom gun case
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 02:55:06 AM »
  With the foam, I really don't see how you will have a wrinkless felt covering.  Any pressure on the felt covered foam with squish and cause a wrinkle.  I'd think a pretty solid backing would be needed and have the felt firmly attatched for no wrinkles to be present.  if it's all going to be reseccesd as a display case,why the foam?  Most display cases I've looked at were a more soild material with a felt/chamois covering.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 03:35:43 AM »
I did the same thing you are trying and as mentioned the foam will compress under even the slightest pressure, but most of the wrinkles ended up under the gun so it doesn't look bad.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline ryans63

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »
I think you used the exact same aluminum case I have and am going to use, I see there are slots or channels in the edges so you can put in dividers.  It looks really good, I like the fabric with the designs. Did you recess the the gun into the foam?
Casper, Semper Fi!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 02:41:34 PM »
Yeah I used a layer of 2" foam on the bottom and traced the gun and stock on 1 1/2" foam and cut that out and used a spray glue to attach the 1 1/2" to the 2".

I found the fabric in a local fabric store, bunch of old ladies looking at the 260 pound biker with long hair walking around looking through fabric samples ;D. Thought the pattern went well with the oriental dragon theme on the stock.

Good luck with your project and post some pics when it's done,
Jim
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?