Author Topic: Anyone used Leupold's customer service?  (Read 486 times)

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
Anyone used Leupold's customer service?
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
 My VXIII 3.5x10 AO scope took out on me today. Somethings gone wrong with the focus, During my last trip to the range after firing a few shots through my 30-06 Encore I noticed that the image through the scope in higher magnifications was very blurry especially at long range. I could hardly make out my 300yd target yet I could read the screen on my chronograph quite clearly even though it was only 25 feet away, all this with the objective set at 300yds. It almost appears as though the objective adjustment is stuck on 25yds even though the adjustment ring still turns.

So I'm left wondering if Leupold will repair this late 70's vintage scope and if so how long will it take and how much will it cost me.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Anyone used Leupold's customer service?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »
You are kidding right? Has anyone used Leupold Customer Service? Hasn't EVERYONE????

It will take how long it takes likely less than two weeks. How much will it cost? ZERO. Will they fix it? Depends on what's wrong and whether they have the parts needed still on hand. They "might" just replace it with a new one but if so that will mean no adjustable objective as that's no longer an option from them and in my opinion that scope is useless without it. I've had them both ways. I don't like to adjust an AO on a hunting rifle but if it has it you just about HAVE TO and without it for me the upper magnifications are useless as things are so fuzzy. I sold off all of them I had and no longer go above a 3-9.

But they will either repair it if they have the parts needed or replace it with a new one without the AO feature. For free.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
I have a scope that's 40 years old they fix it no cost to me.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 11:17:16 AM »
You are kidding right? Has anyone used Leupold Customer Service? Hasn't EVERYONE?

LOL I detect a slight note of sarcasm ;D  I get what you're saying.  This will be the first time I've EVER had to send a scope back. Of course according to many Leupold's NEVER EVER break.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 03:40:07 PM »
Everything breaks!!

I have sent at least a half a dozen back. Only one was really known to be broken. the others where bought used and where "suspect" in poor accuracy issues. NONE COST ME ANYTHING!! 

One time I sent in a scope for a reticule change. I wasn't sure of the price so I didn't send any funds. I wrote a note asking for this and that and to call me with the cost and I would supply a Credit card number to pay for it. It was returned to me BEFORE I EVEN PAID!!!

I cannot say enough good things about this company or its products.

I have an very old M8 3X to go back for another reticule and parallax change. I sent an Email asking if there where any limitations of choices because of the scopes age. Once I hear back, it will be headed back to the factory!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 02:58:38 PM »
UPDATE

I  spoke with a CS rep with Leupold, I called them earlier this afternoon apparently they had tried to contact me previously but have been missing their calls. According to the rep my scope had been tagged for needing the main tube replaced. So as Greybeard predicted they offered to give me a replacement. Now knowing (thanks to the above posts) that the VXIII 3.5x10 is no longer offered with an AO I asked the customer service rep if this is the case, He confirmed this and askef it the AO was important to me. To which I replied "YES", at that point he asked if a VXIII 4.5x14 AO would be alright? To which I replied "YES" ;D

I supposedly have a new scope on it's way. I'll keep ya posted when it arrives.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »
I bought two Vari X IIs  in 2X7 power, in a pawn shop, CHEAP. Didn't even put them on rifles before I sent them both to Leopould to be reworked for parlex. No charge, less than 2 wk, turnaround.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett