Author Topic: student budget scope  (Read 899 times)

Offline bocephus87

• Trade Count: (0)
student budget scope
« on: October 11, 2007, 12:41:21 PM »
Howdy y'all, I've been lurking around here for a while, but now it seems I've put myself in a predicament that I need help with . I just recently acquired a new rifle here for the upcoming deer season (Remington 700 7mm) for $200. being on a student's budget, I don't have too much money to toy around with, so I'm looking for the best glass that 150 American can buy.
Right now I'm considering the following options: refurbished Nikon Buckmaster 3-9, Weaver classic 3-9x38, or possibly a Mueller Extreme (though I've never heard anything about them).

what else would you guys recommend?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: student budget scope
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:06:23 PM »
Any Bushnell Banner or Elite Series.  They are awesome.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
I've had very good luck with Simmons. 

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
A Bushnell Banner or Trophy is a pretty good buy-can be had for under $100. helpful. A Nikon Prostaff in 2-7 is about $130, and a 3-9 is about $150. These are great scopes for the money.
But I would look hard at the Pentax Gameseekers. The 3-9x40 with the multi range plex is available for $100. Look at Cameraland (a sponsor on this board) and Doug is very helpful.

Leon

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 02:51:36 PM »
Camera Land isn't listed as a sponsor, but Midsouth is, and they have a heck of a lot of good buys on their "Boss is Away" sale going on right now. ;)

Tim

GBO Sponsor List

Midsouth Rifle Scopes
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 04:53:32 PM »
Does MidSouth carry Mueller?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
No, but GBO sponsor SWFA does. ;)

Tim

http://www.swfa.com/c-1339-mueller-riflescopes.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
I recently purchased the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9BDC.  I am impressed with the quality of the optics and consider it a good buy.  Adjustments are positive.  I have not had the opportunity to use it in cold weather.

I would not recommend the Burris FFII for a long action rifle.  I purchased one as a replacement on a long action rifle with Weaver Base Mounts all ready installed.  I had already purchased rings when I found that I needed extension rings.  Afterwards I came across an ad that identified the FFII as a short action scope.  I have not had the opportunity to use it in cold weather.

I have two Weaver Classic V scopes a 3x9x38, and a 2x10x38.  The other morning I traveled early in the morning to my hunting area in my pickup with the heater on.  I pulled my rifle w/scope out of the heated pickup into 15-degree outdoor temperature.    I immediately check the scope after removing it from the heated pickup.  It was clear with no evidence of fogging.  As I hunted I checked the scope a number of times and it never fogged.  When the opportunity came to take a buck the scope was clear and allowed the rifle to deliver the bullet to the target.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,127866.0.html

I have a couple of Bushnell Banners.  They have never failed me, they are a good deal, and when I fell on one Bushnell repair it at no cost, except postage to them.  The turn around time was short.  I highly recommend the Banner as best deal.

Buy the Banner and spend your savings on ammunition for practice and hunting
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline revbc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (94)
    • NewLife Worship Center
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Bo,

I own several brands, Bushnell Elite 4200, Banner 4x, Sportview 4x, Burris 3-9 FFII, Millet silver 6-18, Mueller 8-25 tactical, and Hunter Wicked 3-9 and 3-12.

The elite 4200 is great glass, the burris is clear and sharp, the Mueller is exceptional for what it is and the price, but the scopes that I am more impressed with lately are the Hunter brand.  They are fully multicoated with lifetime warranty.  The glass is as close to the 4200 that I have.  I found out they are assembled by Burris using Schott glass (German) and Hunter is making limited quantities. Natchez shooters has the 3-9x40 for $99.  Some are using them on air rifles and 50 cals.

Had the 3-9 on a bull barrel rifle, sling came undone, it dropped to the floor from about 3 feet dead on top of the objective lens, visibly bent the scope.  Locked up the elevation mechanism, took a crowbar and rag bent it back!  Shoots and adjusts great!

Don't have the Pentax, but it sounds like a good scope for the money.  I my opinion the Hunter 3-9 is exceptional for the price.

Rev
Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi Rifles

Offline bocephus87

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 12:48:14 PM »
Wow! Thanks alot for your replies, I still have another week or two before I have to decide, but I will definitely look further into the suggestions that have been made. If there are any more suggestions I would be more than happy to look into them. Now it seems the problem lies in making one of what appears to be many good decisions.

I'm partial to both the Nikon and Weaver series because I've used both before and was pleased by the clarity. I also have an old Bushman Sportsman on a Marlin .22 that has seen way too much abuse to work as well as it still does. I've also heard lots of good things about Mueller, both from a friend and through research. I'd never heard anything about the Hunter brand before
now, but it sounds like a pretty sweet deal.

Has anyone had any experience with the Simmons Aetec series? I came across a 2-10 in about my pricerange.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »
No, but GBO sponsor SWFA does. ;)

Tim

http://www.swfa.com/c-1339-mueller-riflescopes.aspx

Tim I can see why you are a global moderator. 
Doug

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:39:50 PM »
Leupold VxI 3-9x40 would be a good scope and right in that 200 dollar price range.

Offline sweetwyominghome

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 10:15:11 AM »
Natchezss.com currently has Browning scopes on closeout starting around $129.95 for a 3-9x40. These were made to the same specs as the Bushnell Elite 3200, and the only difference is that they carry the Browning logo.

But hurry. These won't last long.

My personal recommendation would just exceed your price range, but the Nikon BuckMasters are a terrific buy for the $$. Jon at theopticzone.com (a GREAT place to deal with) has a 3-9x40 in realtree camo for $189.