Author Topic: Kentucky trip  (Read 600 times)

Offline capnduane

• Trade Count: (0)
Kentucky trip
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
Well, its official, I have my tickets, and I am going to Kentucky, to visit my daughter, and kill some whitetails with my Handirifle! I'm taking my 270 synthetic, which shoots Rem green box 130gr well, and my 20ga bbl with it. Last week I put my opensighted 45/70 bbl on the 270 frame, and it fit, and locked up perfect. It was not factory fitted to the 270 receiver, it has its own receiver. I know that H&R would have a fit about this, but I shot the 45/70 on the 270 receiver with Federal factory 300gr loads, and everything is OK.  I will use a light handload with the Rem 300gr and 3031 powder. My daughter put a couple of salt licks down by the creek in back, and has found two more properties that I can hunt on. I am really excited about the trip, all but the flying!  Edit, brain fart, Remington 300gr jhp bullets not Sierra!

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Kentucky trip
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:00:39 PM »
Have a great trip and enjoy yourself.  I find the actual plane trip enjoyable, it is all of the time spent at the airport waiting for the plane that is the pain for me.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »
Read your airline's rilfle in baggage rules well and do it like they say.  I've never had a problem.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Doug K.A.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 03:29:49 AM »
Have a Great Trip! O ya, let us know how it turns out!
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 03:30:54 AM »
Where are you going to be in KY? We have some great hunting in places. 

Offline capnduane

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »
Darat100,  my daughters place is in Crestwood. She has 26 acres that backs up to a creek with woods. any info on places to hunt would be very helpfull. My daughter is trying her best to find hunting spots for me, but shes only been in Kentucky a couple of months. And it seems some of her neighbors are tree huggers. Guess its OK with them, to runem over with the SUV, but not shootem? Funny thing is the limit on whitetail does in Kentucky is NO Limit!!!  Thanks, Duane

Offline mntly_imptnt

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 03:37:32 PM »
enjoy kentucky. i know i do year round  ;D.  when you get to ky stop by wallly world or a gun shop to pick up the ky hunting pamplet.  the pamplet will give all the rules, regulations, and public hunting lands info.  seriously keep an eye out while driving  ky. i have hit 3 this year, and 7 one year :o here in western ky.

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 03:42:22 PM »
capnduane

be careful on that no limit on does bit.  there are 4 zones in ky and that is only in one of them.  I am not familiar with where crestwood is, I am guessing around louisville with the no limit on does, but cross the wrong county line and you could have yourself in a heap of trouble.  good luck.

Offline mntly_imptnt

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 08:06:55 AM »
that's why i suggested the hunting pamphlet .  they are very informative.  they are also simple to find and understand the info. ;)

btw we use nefs (45lc & 30/30) exclusively to hunt deer ;D.  my daughter shot a 75lber at 120yds with the 30/30.  last year the 45lc got 2 10pnters from my son and daughter. i love these guns for youth purposes.  who am i kidding?  i love shooting them also. 

Offline capnduane

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »
Thanks, darat100 for the tip on the limits/regulations. I had looked on line at the Kentucky regs and only looked in the zone around my daughters place in Crestwood. She's about a half hour from Louisville. 10/4 on the 30/30 mntly import, Iv'e had a handirifle in 30/30 ackley imp for many years, I use 125gr Sierras and have taken several bucks and wild pigs with it here in Calif. I really enjoy my little handirifles, especially the 223 bull bbl varmiter I got this past year.