Author Topic: Take a kid Hunting  (Read 695 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Take a kid Hunting
« on: September 29, 2007, 03:57:00 AM »
Hello All,

I am taking my dispatchers son out to my brothers little 40 acre piece of heaven tommorow.  He is the one that ended up with the Versa Pak that I had gotten for my brother last Christmas.  He has never gotten to go hunting before and she said he is really excited about it.  He already has all of his clothes sitting out and she told me he probably won't be able to sleep tonight.  She was thanking me for doing this and I really didn't see it as any sort of chore but more as a privilege.  If we don't bring newcomers into our sport it will die.
So if you get the chance, take a kid hunting even if the kid is someone else's as it is a memory that will last a lifetime both for the kid and for you.  It is also an investment for our future.

Best,

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Take a kid Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 04:19:30 AM »
Wolfgang

Good for you buddy , any time you can get a new person , ( young or old ) to the field it is a good thing . our sec. at work is a single mom with a 15 year old son that is wanting to get into hunting , so i think he will be my next as i have done this with both my sisters kids .

And your right it is not a chore , its just being a good outdoorsman and its fun too

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 10:31:24 AM »
Its not a hunting trip but, I take my high school buddie's grandson fishing with me. I like to go during the week to avoid a crowd. The kid is 12 yrs old, short fat kid that the other kids dont want to play with. No matter what time I say I'am going, he's standing at the gate waiting for me. I let him keep all the fish, as him and his mom like fish. His mom is divorced and has a boyfriend that dosent have the time to do anything with the kids. (this guy is a real jerk and him and I dont get along). Kid will sit in the boat all day and never complain about wind cold or slow fishing. He said at first he dint have a pole and reel and his grandfather said he would get him one. Told his grandfather dont worry about it as I have about 25 poles and reels, only thing kid needed to bring was his lunch and something to drink. Have brought the kid home dead tired but he cant wait to show the fish to his grandfather and keep thanking me for taking him fishing. His grandfather is disabled and dosent get around very well, plus I have a 12ft boat and motor and know all the local lake fairly well. This is kind of how I was brought up except my step-dad hunted and fished and I always got to go along, plus my buddies dad and uncle used to take us a lot. I have tryed to teach the kid all I can about fishing and show him things and he pickes it up fairly fast.

Gun Runner

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 02:00:37 PM »
good encouragement for all of us! the future of our pass time is in our hands...taking somebody's kid hunting is the way to insure the future of our sport. I plan on taking my godson with me on a few trips this year and maybe my nephew but that means either I go to NY to hunt with him or he comes here...a little more difficult for sure.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline .54

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:29:08 AM »
I've been though the hunter education course 3 times now, twice with my own sons and last year I took my girlfriends 10 year old grandson. Took him on his 1st deer hunt last year. I still remember the days I spent in the woods with my father and I think there's nothing better a man can do than share the experience of the outdoors and hunting with a young boy. The more people we can interest in the sport the better. I even have my girlfriend interested in going hunting so I told her she needs to sign up for the hunter ed course and I'll go with her.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 12:20:03 PM »
I took my 4 year old granddaughter squirrel hunting with me last fall, what a trip. We just got set down and she wanted to sit on my lap. I aks her how I could shoot with her on my lap and she said she would get off if we saw a squirrel. She never quit talking and we never saw a thing, but she wants to go again. A heck of a lot of fun takeing kids, just lower your expection on kill game.  ;D

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:04:13 AM »
Hello Everybody,

Well, our hunting trip went off as planned.  Cole was so excited that he could hardly contain himself.  We ended up going down to the cabin for breakfast and then as dawn was breaking we made our way into the back section of the woods.  He was so fridgety that I had to tell him several times to settle down and be still.  Every sound was a squirrel!  We had several bushy tails that were shootable but he couldn't see them in time and they took off.  I managed to talk one of them into a nearby dead fall right in front of him with a call and when I told him there was one right in front of him he stood up and said "Where?!" Of course the squirrel took off like a bolt of lightning and I started to laugh so hard I though I was going to wet myself!  After a little consoling and again telling him he had to be still and use his eyes and not his mouth, we were back at it.  Nothing at lunch time so we went back to the cabin and cleaned it up then had lunch.  We ended up back out in the afternoon and right at quiting time we had had one come down the side of a tree right in front of him.  Boom!  Squirrel runs down the tree and then back up.  Reload, Boom!  Squirrel does half gainer to the ground and the first trophy of a kids first hunt. ;D  You would have thought that he dropped a Boone and Crocket Buck!  He then got the short course on taking care of the game after the kill and we were on our way back home with a memory that will hopefully last a lifetime.  Well, a picture is worth a thousand words so here they are ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 01:32:26 AM »
wow thats a great deal !!!! you did a great thing here man , as the sayin goes " you never stand any taller then when you stoop down to help a  child"  and this is what you did, ive done it many many times and still find it  very fullfilling