Author Topic: Cabela's  (Read 1125 times)

Offline toysoldier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Cabela's
« on: August 20, 2007, 10:33:51 AM »
I stopped n at the Kansas City Cabela's on Friday. After scannig the many racks of guns, I spotted ONE southpaw bolt-action, a Savage Youth model in .308. I mentioned this to an older guy behind the counter, and he just shrugged his shoulders. I guess they don't care about losing 10% of their potential customers.

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
Re: Cabela's
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
I've been to the Kansas City Cabela's and you're right.  It's that way at nearly every store.  Think it might have been the St. Louis Mills Cabela's where I at least saw a rack marked "Left Handed" where they had a handfull of rifles. You'd think a large dealer like Cabela's, Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, with more inventory than your local gun shop, would offer more for southpaws.  They don't.  Over the course of 2 or 3 years I went to a lot of gun shows in the region expecting to see a good selection of lefty guns.  Never saw more than a couple at any one show, and never chambered in a cartridge I was interested in.

Picking up a rifle and trying it on for size before putting any money down is good advice.  I've never been able to do this.  I've got a 1/2 dozen rifles and each one has been special ordered.  You can't order them without putting 1/3 to 1/2 down.  No store owner I know will order one so I can "see how it feels."

Offline Mattkc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:18:42 PM »
They have a left-handed rifle section, I was there a little over a week ago and they had a couple of A-Bolts (micro 308) and 2 Rem 700 CDLs.  One was a 223 for $669 and a 270 for well over $800.  If the prices on the 700's were reversed I would of bought the 270.  I live in KC but don't go to Cabela's very often their prices are to high and the salesmen just plain suck.  I went during the week looking for a deer rifle for my son.  Walked up to the gun counter and there were 5 salesmen and two customers.  I got my number and the three salesmen w/o customers disappeared.  I waited over 30 minutes and said screw it and left.  I found a new 700 30-06 in a small gun store for $669 or they could order a lefty in another caliber for $100 bucks less then Cabela's.  The thing I can't figure is why the $200 dollar difference in price for the Rem. 700's at Cabela's.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
 ;D we should be getting a new Cabela's in Olympia,WA should be nice for fishing gear and general hunting stuff hopefully they will have better service at this one at least i havent had a bad exeperiance with the sportsmans wherehouse . justin

Offline zermatt7

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 07:23:18 AM »
[ I went during the week looking for a deer rifle for my son.  Walked up to the gun counter and there were 5 salesmen and two customers.  I got my number and the three salesmen w/o customers disappeared.  I waited over 30 minutes and said screw it and left. ]

The above sounds like a normal occurrence at the BASS PRO outside of Atlanta...I've stopped taking friends and neighbors in there gun shopping...And heaven forbid you interrupt one the retired from something else salesman while they're talking (socializing) one of there buddies. One neighbor had $2,000 in cash and wanted to buy a Tikka Lefty and a Glock (Owns his own business and is a Sgt. in the Air force reserves).
They were so rude to him when he asked about getting a Tikka in lefty that he swore he'd  never set foot in the store again...and he hasn't.

The new Cabelas outside of Atalanta in Cartersville was supposed to have opened here already...I hope its better than Bass Pro customer service wise...The latest Field & Stream had a good article on Cabelas...It stated that overall Cabela's is about 2 &1/2 times the size of Bas Pro ???

Already noticed a big increase in B.P. sales and lower prices since Dicks and the threat of Cabelas has arrived.....Up until this year Bass Pro would not even match their own online prices.....Maybe they were supposed to all along but they did'nt do it at the Duluth store until the last year or so.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:20:32 PM »
maybe more competition will bring everyone back to earth for better prices :-\ hopefully,superdown

Offline ken613

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:10:05 AM »
I went to the new Sportsman's Warehouse in Roanoke, VA this week.

They had a total of six new LH rifles.  Four Tikkas and two Rugers.  That's the most new LH rifles I've ever seen in one location.  I was impressed.

BTW, I was impressed with how the Rugers mounted/pointed.  May have to get one.  I already have a Tikka, and love the way it handles.

Ken