Author Topic: PF9 Range Report  (Read 5903 times)

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: PF9 Range Report
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
Well I caved in again!  While at my son’s shop Friday a city LEO acquaintance of his came in and had one for sale, it looks new and according to the LEO it has ate less than two boxes of ammo.  I don’t know what LEOs pay for their guns but he dropped it on me for $125. and said that was just a few buck less than what he paid for it new.  I’ll take it for a test ride one day next week and see if it is any better (or worst) than the two others I had.

I did learn something in the conversation with the LEO, he stated that the Texas Department of Public Safety has been discouraged from carrying the P-9, he didn’t know why, but said this came down from the “higher ups” to the troopers in the field.  Has anyone any input on this?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 04:19:14 PM »
I took her out for a ride this afternoon, she is not any better than the other two, I just can't get use to the loooooong trigger pull, but maybe with a little more practice it will be OK.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 01:48:24 AM »
Yes, that trigger pull is long!  It just takes some consistant practice to get used to and then it will work fine for you.  Don't expect to do double taps like your 1911 though!  I enjoy mine, and I'm not carrying a $1000 gun anymore (which the LEO's would confiscate after a shooting until cleared of any possible charges).  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 02:57:10 AM »
I did learn something in the conversation with the LEO, he stated that the Texas Department of Public Safety has been discouraged from carrying the P-9, he didn’t know why, but said this came down from the “higher ups” to the troopers in the field.  Has anyone any input on this?

I do not know for fact but If I had to venture a guess I would say their lawyers and liability issues is the reason since the Pf-9 has no external safeties or safety trigger.  Of coarse IMO the P-11 or Pf-9 with their 8# to 10#, mile long triggers are any less safe than a Glock or Smith with their little safety trigger gizmos. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
Now since I have owned 4 of the Kel-Tec's in the past......trial & error and I am guilty ok! Nonetheless, the P-11 has a mile Looooooong trigger pull and is not as easy to hide as the P-9 or PF-9. I finally got a more reliable pistol in this last Kel-Tec PF-9, it will shoot hollow points the others would not.

The pistol is very accurate for a cheap pocket pistol. I have shot 2.5 inch groups at 21ft using rest and Blazer FMJ ammo. However, those Kel-Tec's will JAM if you "limp-wrist" them. You must also let that trigger come all the way forward, inorder to keep from Jamming on the next shot........this takes practice but in the heat of excitement (being car jacked) one could forget and not let that trigger come all the way forward and then your goose would be over cooked or brunt. I only use this pistol around our place in the hot summer months wearing shorts. Now on the street or in my vehicle, I'll bet my life on my Glock or Sig-!!!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
Brett.  There may be some truth to your statement.  At one point many of the officers carried an AMT Backup in .357 SIG .  I don't think they do that anymore either, mattter of fact I have my friends AMT in my safe, it was special made with his DPS badge number engraved by the factory.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:24:43 AM »
btt

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!