Author Topic: 30-06 for Wyoming hunt  (Read 1011 times)

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
30-06 for Wyoming hunt
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
Guys,
    next Oct i'll be going on a mule deer/antelope hunt in central Wyoming. My buddy and i plan to bring our 30-06 rifles.I've been using 165 gr here in the east and this year i'm trying the Winchester Supreme 168 gr ballistic silvertip.Do you fella's think this load will get the job done out to 300 yrds or should i switch to a slightly faster/flatter load in 150 gr ?
Shooter in NY
Shooter

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 30-06 for Wyoming hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:35:54 AM »
that should work real good for you but i am personally not a fan of the ballistic tip type bullets for big game i hunt Idaho and Washington and have used the 270,308 ,325 .I would reccomend a fail safe or x- bullet . best of luck to you on your hunt. superdown

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:48:46 AM »
I actually am quite fond of the BT bullets for hunting BUT prefer heavy for caliber to make up for them being a bit on the soft side. I think for antelope that bullet would be great but for larger mule deer personally I'd feel better with a 180 BT and it would work great on both. Still on the one trip I made to Colorado the guy I ended up having to ride back with when my Bronco died out there used a 130 BT in his .270 Winchester to take one of only two elk taken on the trip. So they can work properly placed. But improperly placed they work even less well than some others do.

Deer whether of the mule or whitetail variety are not particular large or tough critters and die fairly easily althou they can cover some ground before realizing they are dead.

With the '06 which is an excellent round for such hunting my personal choice would be a 180 BT if I were going to use a BT or better yet the Nosler AB or Hornady IB in 165/180 grain weights. The 165 or 180 Nosler PT are NEVER bad choices.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 06:06:18 AM »
 :) I just got back from Wyoming and my 150 grain Nosler ballistic tips worked fine on mule deer although the shot was not far nor the deer huge. The bullets you are using should be fine. Have confidence in your bullet and practice at 300yards if you plan to shoot at that distance. Mule deer aren't really much if any bigger than whitetails. Not enough to matter anyway. The important thing is to make a well placed shot at whatever range.
Antelope can be very hard to recover if you make a bad shot.
Most of the time you are not making that long of a shot. In general, the animals are closer than you think. More people miss shooting over than under.
Just practice a lot with bullets you use at different ranges and you should   be fine. Good luck