Author Topic: Whitney navy revolver?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Will52100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Whitney navy revolver?
« on: August 24, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
I was browsing Dixie and came accross the whitney revolver.  Does any body have one?  How's the quality?  How accurate, ect?
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
Re: Whitney navy revolver?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
I have a 1861 Whitney. I bought it way back in 1978. I haven't used it a lot through the years. It was produced for the Richland Arms Co. (it's out of business now.) It is stamped "Made In Italy" so it is probably a Pietta, or an Uberti. She is a very nicely finished gun. I think she shoots well however I know I dont shoot so well. I'm getting better tho! I really like it.
 Hope this helps, Mark
What will you say on Judgement Day?

The BANKERS win every war.

When gardening for food is outlawed, I'll BE an outlaw.

Offline Will52100

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 07:41:31 PM »
Thanks, it looks like an interesting gun.  I know I'm going to have to try one just for the heck of it.  The only repo I can find out there though is Palmetto, I've heard good and bad about them though.
The thing about freedom, it's never free
www.courtneyknives.com

Offline long

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 04:58:19 AM »
made by Palmetto,Italy. Palmetto products are of uniformly poor quality.  Major parts are misaligned and heat treatment of action parts is so poor that many break down immediately.  It would be  a good idea to read reviews of various palmetto products on the dixie site.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:59:43 AM »
I have several pistols and a rifle made by Palmetto.   NONE of them are less than 20 yrs old.    The rifle, a 50-70 Sharps repro made for Garrett Arms is excellent.  Of the four pistols, three are also excellent.  The fourth pistol was a cheap brass frame revolver kit, which I have never fired or finished.  Even for a kit, which I'd expect to be rough on the outside, the trigger and action are "rough" as well.   

I also have two pistols made by Uberti  and an  Armi San Marco pistol.  They are nice but have their problems as well.  On one the cylinder can rock side to side when at full cock. 

I have one many target pistol matches with the three nice Palmetto pistols.  I can't speak for today's quality.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
What does Palmetto's proof marks look like? My whitney was made for Richland Arms and I bought it about 25 yrs, ago.
Thanks, Mark

Offline LEE3370

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Palmetto's logo is that of a palm tree.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 03:07:13 PM »
Even when using a magnifying glass I can't see any palm trees. What I do see are 2 small (very small) stamps in 3 places . 2 stamps on the barrel, and also the same 2 stamps on the frame just above the triggerguard, the cylinder also has these same 2 stamps.
The stamp on the right looks like a star inside of a circle. It is above the letters PN.
 The stamp to the left of it looks like it is also a star inside of a circle only this one is just above some kind of coat of arms.
In between the 2 stamps on the frame is stamped a rectangular box with the initials AD.( I think those initials are for who inspected it.)
Any help in identification is greatly appreciated.
Mark

Offline mykeal

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
The two marks you've found are the identification of the Italian proof houses. They are required on every gun manufactured in Italy, so they do not help in identifying the actual manufacturer. They do prove the gun was made in Italy, however.

The letters AD in a square are the code for year of manufacture; AD means 1978.

If present, the manufacturer's mark will be big enough to easily identify without magnification.

Palmetto is indeed a palm tree, inside an oval shaped outline. Uberti is the letter U inside an outline that looks like the muzzle end of a revolver; Uberti sometimes just uses the name A. Uberti also. Pietta uses the letters FAP, sometimes alone, sometimes inside a diamond shape, and they also will occasionally use just the name F.LLI PIETTA. Davide Pedersoli uses the letters dp inside an oval. The letters DGG, either alone or inside a circle, stand for Armi San Pauolo -  the letters are for the company's founders names. ASM means Armi San Marco. Finally, Armi Sport uses the letters AC inside a circle.

The most likely place to find the mark is on the bottom of the barrel near the frame and/or the bottom of the frame in front of the trigger guard. It is also occasionally found on the side of the frame.

Offline Elijah Gunn

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
Thank you very much mykeal.
I looked it over again and could not find a manufacturers mark. I even removed the trigger guard to see if it was under that." Made in Italy" is stamped on the barrel along with" 1861 E.Whitney" and also "Richland Arms Co." Richland Arms was based in Blissfield Michigan. They are out of business now. I was curious to find out which Itallian company made it for them,as I thought it would be better to get any parts I need from the original makers. Now I may never know! :'(   Oh well, life goes on. :) 
Regards, Mark

Offline Boge

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
Longcarabiner, PM sent to you.  ;)