Author Topic: Looking for a new Auto for CCW......Found It!  (Read 1038 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Looking for a new Auto for CCW......Found It!
« on: October 14, 2007, 05:59:19 AM »
I've got three handguns I carry: a Bersa .380 for hot weather, a SW 65 3" for roaming around, and a full-size 12-shot Witness 40 for winter.  I like them all but I'm wanting another auto, minimum caliber 9mm, small but not tiny like the Kel-Tec's.  I want something concealable but big enough to hold 7+ rounds, and easy to hold on to.

I love the feel of the Kahr's, but the price tag is obscene, even used.  Does anyone have any experience with the Bersa Thunder 45? 

Any other candidates?  NO GLOCKS. 

Papajohn

If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline chucky52

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
Re: Looking for a new Auto for CCW......
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 07:26:39 AM »
I've just been thru your dilemma and kept my 38+P for summer wear and finally settled on the Glock 36 for non summer wear. Lenght and height of the G36 almost match the J3, you get 6+1 with fast mag changes. The airweight weighs 11 oz empty, the G36 weighs 27 oz loaded with 7 serious rounds. The G36 is single stack with a narrower grip and slide. I wish Glock would provide more conealability in the other models. I shoot 165 grain Fed low recoil. I never found the perfect auto for CCW; but, I am happy with the G36, fyi.

Offline Savage

Re: Looking for a new Auto for CCW......
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 12:40:15 PM »
How about the Kel Tec PF-9? 7+1 rounds of 9mm in a small light package.

Here is my PF-9 with a P-3AT for size comparison.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline papajohn428

• A Real Regular
Re: Looking for a new Auto for CCW......Found It!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:19:14 PM »
I took the plunge yesterday and ordered the Bersa Thunder 45.  It holds eight, like the .380 I have, it's not much bigger, and I have a lot more faith in the 45ACP than I ever did the .380.  Ever since two guys tried to carjack me last month I've been thinking about firepower, and decided that I wanted more.  As it was I wound up jamming the .380 in the closest guy's forehead as he leaned toward me, but at any distance I'm not sure a 380 has much poop, like if his partner had opened up on me. 

The Bersa 45 has everything I want........a safety, which Kahr doesn't even OFFER  ???, SA/DA trigger, and controls where I like them, plus a good ergo grip.  Spare mags are about $40 each  :o but I'm getting at least two more.  I've sold a few guns lately to finance new purchases, and one major priority is new handgun leather designed for concealment.  After that carjacking attempt, the only time I won't be packing is in the shower!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:10:17 AM »
When you get to shooting that gun please give us a range report, I haven't seen much on the Bersa Thunder .45.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Bubber

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:49:08 PM »
I likewise would appreciate a report on it.

I have an older Bersa .380. I don't love the thing by any means, but I don't have much bad to say about it either and would consider buying another one.

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 08:11:30 AM »
I've got a Bersa 380 and love it.

I've also considered the Bersa 45, for the same reasons you've mentioned, but haven't made the jump yet.

Please let us know what you think of it, especially it's accuracy and reliability.

Thanks!

Offline darkroomdan

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:07:48 AM »
I have a Bersa .380 and like its size and feel, but a little concerned about the power level. I bought a Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm that had a 12 shot magazine and bought a couple of extras, it was a good gun, worked fine, was OK but not great in the accuracy dept. but it was considerably wider and heavier that the .380. I ended up trading on something and eventually got a Kel-Tec P11 and have loved it - it carries great - I use the little add on clip thing - and it has run a bunch of rounds - the only problem I've had is I broke the ejector using some Wolf steel cased ammo - KT sent me a new one right away - it does fine with brass cases.  I got a couple of the 15 shot S&W mags as back up and I carry the 147 gr. hollow point Win. White box. With 10 of these in the mag and one in the chamber it weighs about the same as the Bersa .380. I tested these and they penetrated through three 2x6s inter-layered with three sheets of 1/2 inch plywood and still made it a couple of inches into the ground. They had expanded about double - so I was very pleased!
I hope your Bersa .45 works out. And am interested in a range report.
Cheers,
Dan