Author Topic: TC Scout Pistol / Questions?  (Read 973 times)

Offline akbearhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
TC Scout Pistol / Questions?
« on: June 13, 2003, 09:05:58 AM »
1.What type of animals have you taken with your Scout pistol?
2.Why can't I use Pirodex Pellets in my pistol?
3.What is the best powder for my scout pistol and load?
4.I wish to take a bear with my .54 cal pistol...should I try cast or one of
  the newer jacketed bullets w/sabots?
  *Thanks for all your help!
Hunt with the wind in your face, honesty in all your dealings with others, and forget not to praise our Creator for yet another day...

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 04:47:59 PM »
akbearhunter:

I've run a BUNCH of balls through my TC Scout pistol...but the only hair that flew was on the back of my neck.  I've yet to punch any holes in anything other than paper so far.

I load mine with 90-100g. of 2F, a fiber wad, and a patched .530 ball.  With the iron sights I can bench rest 6" groups at 50yds.  I've shot maxi-balls and maxi-hunters out of the pistol too...all perform well.  That ought to be good enough...but I am going to mount a 2.5X scope on top, to see I can bring home some "side-hill bacon" later this year.

My gut tells me that TC is of the opinion that Pyrodex won't ignite properly due to the design of the nipple/breech plug.  Load it with BP and pick the nipple between shots...you won't have any problems.

My  :money:

Be Safe!  ...Chris    :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline akbearhunter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 06:24:11 AM »
Thanks Chris...I think your right. The flash hole just does not allow enough volume of hot gasses from the primer to allow the pellets to ignite. So far the only powder I've ever used has been Pyrodex RS...By the way...what is the weight of a round ball projectile .530" in diameter? Do you know the velocity, and do you think it would be enough for a blackie? Thanks again!
Hunt with the wind in your face, honesty in all your dealings with others, and forget not to praise our Creator for yet another day...

Offline Chris

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 07:55:56 PM »
akbearhunter:

Take a look at these charts...does this help?

http://www.televar.com/~willgo/pastgate/notebook/balistics/ball.htm#Ballistic

I have no earthly idea if you can take a bear with a .54 BP pistol.   :?   I really don't want to sound like a smart-@$$, but I guess it all depends on how far away you are and where you hit 'em.  I have ZERO experience with bear...but I'm sure there are others out there that can help you out. Call me a chicken, but I would have a Plan B...just in case!   :eek:

Be Safe!   ...Chris   :D
"An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike!" Spiro Agnew

Offline LOG EYE

Bear with a.54
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 09:20:09 AM »
Hi AK: I'm aware of a trapper in AK running his trapline who always carried a .44 Ruger Blackhawk with rifle loads 240gr hp.  A brown bear took offence of him stealing a meal from a trap and attacked him. The trapper got off 3 shots,all in the bear's open mouth, before it mauled him. Yes,the bear died and he lives to carry a 375 belted HH magna ported rifle with him where ever he goes. Good Luck and don't be aka bearhunter.