Author Topic: Black powder production ?  (Read 758 times)

Offline Eyes Of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Dehogger
Black powder production ?
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
I have a friend that just got approved for his high explosive license from the ATFE. Now from my under standing he got it for the production and research of new explosives. But he can still buy C-4 and other stuff. From what he said his license does not cover the production of black powder and he would have to get a low level explosive license to cover the making of black powder. So my question is, is this only for the production and sale of black powder or does this go fore home production and use?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Black powder production ?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 05:52:56 PM »
The absolute correct answer will only come from you writing a letter to ATFE and asking.  They will tell you.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 12:15:08 AM »
The absolute correct answer will only come from you writing a letter to ATFE and asking.  They will tell you.

There may be someone on-line that knows.  But if not, we could make up an answer that will make you feel good until push-comes-to-shove.

DD said it right - go to the source. 

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 04:59:36 AM »
The question is best researched at the ATF site www.info-central.org/regulatory/orangebook/ and it should be noted that the Orange Book is dated.

In the past I have held several licenses and permits and can tell you that the rules are in a constant state of flux. ATF does a good job of sending out interim changes to the Orange Book along with other important updates and FYI info.

Bill

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
With some research, you might decide you don't want to make black powder.  It really depends on what the final product has to look like.  If you want lift charges for fireworks, surplus military black powder in large grain sizes, slow burning, is sometimes available for $2. a pound in certain lot sizes.  You must have an FEL, which starts with a BATF-approved magazine, to buy it, and you have to pick it up in a legally-placarded vehicle.  This grade of black powder is so slow it does not work well for cannon blank charges, and would be useless for cannon propellant.

As I'm sure you know, the harder part of black powder production is getting the proper grain size for your particular use.  Anytime I've gotten the urge to make it, I began looking into it and always decided that buying the finished name-brand product was the way to go.  I think I'd rather flip burgers at Mickie D's to make extra money to buy powder, rather than spend the same amount of time trying to make high-quality powder of the proper grain size.

I'd be interested to know what your make-buy dollar decision point is, is it $5. a pound, for example?  I've heard that one importer sets up a stand at Friendship, IN and sells imported powder for $5. a pound, but i have no idea what the grain size or quality of it is.

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 05:52:41 PM »
We kicked this subject around a year or two ago www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,107036.0.html and I think the consensus was it's a lot of work.

Anyone interested can PM or email me. If a person were also interested in amateur rockets and pyrotechnics it might be worthwhile. The cost of equipment would buy many cases of GOEX.

Bill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:58:18 AM »
Will -

THANKS!   Good info - the document and the experience!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 02:25:21 AM »
Ran across this site by accident, it talks about the equipment and procedures for making black powder.  The granulation of it is a bit easier than I thought, although they are talking about making it primarily for fireworks I think.  They get the finely-ground powder damp with dextrin and water, and push it thru a sieve.

http://www.unitednuclear.com/bp.htm

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 05:10:37 AM »
Click on the link in Will Bison's post up above and read all three pages of posts.  He gives a good narrative on his efforts in making his own black powder.