Author Topic: Loose cylinder pin  (Read 447 times)

Offline Gene R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Loose cylinder pin
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »
I've been meaning to ask, but kept forgetting.

When I first bought my 45 BH, I purchased some Grizzly 260gr jsp, these are hot loads similar to Buffalo Bore. Any way every time I shot them the cylinder locking pin would back out a little after 2 or 3 shots. The only way I noticed it was it would not want to cock again and I noticed that this pin held some little piece of metal back from catching on the firring pin.

It does not do this with milder loads, but it does concern me, and could it have damaged any thing?

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Loose cylinder pin
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 06:48:17 PM »
The problem you described is pretty common with single action revolvers and hard-kicking cartridges.  The Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt or the Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum are  examples.

The cylinder pin release catch has developed a burr from repeated impacts against the groove on the cylinder pin.  That allows the base pin to jump out of engagement during recoil, and disengage from the transfer bar (transfers the hammer impact to the firing pin) and prevents recocking the revolver.

The fix is easy enough: replace the cylinder pin release catch, or use a stronger spring for more positive cylinder pin retention.

HTH
John
John Traveler

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Re: Loose cylinder pin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »
Gene...

I had the same problem with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Rem Mag...The base pin was backing out after a few rounds.  So, instead of just purchasing a new spring, I decided to purchase a Belt Mtn Base Pin.  The new base pin comes with a set screw so that there is not more movement.  I don't remember the cost but it was reasonable.  Here's the link to the website for Belt Mtn: www.beltmountain.com

Here's a pic of my Ruger with the new base pin installed...It is the Keith Model.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense