Author Topic: Range report with new 45-70  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Range report with new 45-70
« on: October 29, 2007, 08:19:53 AM »
First of all I want to thank each one of you who encouraged me to get this rifle in one of my earlier posts. This is my first Handi-Rifle, it's an H&R SB2 45-70 with synthetic stocks.
I just got back in the house from shooting this rifle for the first time. I was shooting Winchester 300 grain JHP factory ammunition. My first shot was at 15 yards just to see where it was hitting. It was a little low and left so I adjusted the rear sight accordingly. My next shot was at 33 yards, still a little low and slightly to the right. Adjusted the rear sight and moved the target to 50 yards.
At fifty yards I fired a shot and walked up to the target, right in the bulls-eye. I was happy!
I fired a second shot at the 50 yard target and walked up to see where I hit. It was touching my first shot! I was very happy!
I was hesitant about firing a third shot because I knew it would really open up the group, but who shoots 2 shot groups. I settled into the sand bags just as I had with the other shots and fired a third shot at 50 yards. I walked up to the target and there was no paper between all three shots! I was absolutely tickled to death! I measured from center to center of the two farthest holes and it was dead on half an inch.
This is with the factory supplied sights that I'm not crazy about and am going to replace with a peep sight.
Thanks again for persuading me to buy this rifle, I'm 40 years old and this is my first Handi. I now wish I would have bought one years ago.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: Range report with new 45-70
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:15 AM »

Congrats....

That's some good shooting...keep it up..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 08:27:52 AM »
Ditto, more great reports to come we hope!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline henry1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 08:59:57 AM »
That is some excelent shooting! I wish i had more time to shoot my .45/70! I feel guilty all the time about it and i just keep looking for the next one i want! LOL ;D :D
Congrats!!!
Hank.
dont pee down my back and tell me its raining
if my guns were my children theyd be incredibly spoiled
the mountian has got its own way, pillgram
ther's many a slip twix the cup and the lip
Life member NAHC
Henry
hunter8734@yahoo.com
Looking for pdo

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:27:35 AM »
Congratulations to you Slufoot, 45/70 Handis are among the most enjoyable and inherently accurate large bore Handi's there are. This is just the start buddy, I can see the following in your future, a .22 Hornet, .17 Mach2, .22 Mag, .357 Mag to Max, .17 HMR, .223 Remington, it just goes on and on, the pleasure, enjoyment, and fun never ends. You did well to start with the flagship of the fleet buddy, every true Handiholic should at least one Handi in 45/70, or 2, or 3, or ?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
Slufoot

Except for P-dog shooting i put more rounds through my 45/70 than any other Handi that i have , its just a joy to shoot because i hit what i aim at . Just wait till you start handloading for it and see what it will do .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:08:33 AM »
Thanks guys!

MSP Ret, Yeh, your right I'm already thinking about getting a muzzle loader barrel.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:36:00 AM »
That's a shooter for sure, with open sights, I'm impressed.   Nice going.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »
If you can shoot three shots like you did then why oh why would you even consider doing anything to those sights?
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Slufoot

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »
If you can shoot three shots like you did then why oh why would you even consider doing anything to those sights?

The black sights are fine for punching paper in the bright daylight but not for hunting in the dark shadows of the thick woods, especially when the light is fading.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »
Dang, Slufoot -- I have been thinking what caliber I might want if I can spring for another Handi this winter (depends if there is a bonus at the shop, and how big . . .) I always thought I'd go with an ought-six, but the more I hear about .45-70s, the more I lean in that direction.

You won't regret fitting a Williams aperture sight to your rifle. I have had a Monte Carlo stock and a scope on my .357 Max all summer for load development, but just now switched back to a straight comb and the little WGRS peep. Makes me realize why they're called "handy" rifles -- you can neatly carry the piece with one hand wrapped around the middle, where it balances. I fitted a Williams Shorty ramp and a brass bead front -- the Shorty mounting screw is placed to fit just right in the factory front sight hole, but I had to have the local 'smith open and thread it to 6-48 -- the factory screw is some near-microscopic little thing.

Will you be casting for the big .45? Now that my casting rig is back in business, the .45-70 looks even better. Yup, I think it's gonna be a .45 . . .
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline Dave Weiss

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
I put a Williams FP and the HIGH factory sight (both available from NEF) and I'm very happy with the set-up. With 420gr cast and a healthy load of Pyrodex Select I can keep them in a 3" circle at 100yds all day. I REALLY like my 45-70 Handi...

>>>===> Dave
Hunt hard, shoot fast and trust your dog.