Author Topic: Looking for a scope recommendation  (Read 492 times)

Offline Ravenwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for a scope recommendation
« on: November 08, 2007, 01:44:19 PM »
Hi all.  I'm looking for a scope recommendation in both power and manufacturer for a rifle that I have.  My budget would be around $300 - $350.00 max (less is better if the quality is there).  First off I will say I'm almost entirely a handgun hunter so am mostly familiar with handgun scopes and when I use a long gun it is usually a lever action with open sights, so please bear with me.  The rifle in ? is a custom Remington 700 BDL that has been fitted with a laminated thumbhole stock and a 23 inch #3 contour Hart barrel in 280 Ackley Improved.  I originally had it built 20 years ago for long range woodchuck shooting.  Since then I moved to handguns, but just recently sold the old 6.5-20X scope that was on it, had the stock lightened and recontoured to make the rifle a more general purpose rifle should I go to Canada for Caribou.  I still want to use it once in awhile for woodchuck hunting to get in shape for hunting up north.  Now with all that said, what would the forum recommend for a general purpose scope to use on Deer/Caribou through woodchuck/coyote without adding a ton a weight to the slimmed down rifle.  Thanks all.....RW
shoot straight, shoot often, shoot safe

Offline crow_feather

Re: Looking for a scope recommendation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 01:57:07 PM »
For my 270 WSM, I got a Nikon Buckmaster 3 x 9 x 40 that has the BDC circles on the cross hairs.  It dosen't bother me when I'm hunting and does work when you reach out some. It goes for around 200.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Ravenwolf

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »
Crow Feather, I've looked through Nikon's Monarchs and was impressed with the optics on those.  I'll have to check out the buckmasters.  Have you used the BDC reticle?......RW
shoot straight, shoot often, shoot safe

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
all it is are o's placed in the bottom reticule, for 200/300/400/500 or 300/400/500/600 depending on caliber.  It is not perfect but it does put you in the right area and has no moving parts.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:35:01 AM »
I know I buck the trend, but I think most people are over scoped power wise. A quality 10X with AO will let you reach way out there on a Chuck. Not 1000yards, but I do not think that 500 yards is out of the question with it. For hunting, it would be a nice compromise for long distance shooting and shorter distances. If you think you have to have a variable then a Quality 3 X 9 would fit the bill. If you really think you need more power; then a 4X - 14X would be OK too. For hunting I still think a straight power scope is best, it is just one less thing to fool with. If you decide to get a 10X then the Bushnell Elite 3200 tactical is about $200 and is a good piece of glass for the money. If you want to get into the variables then the Nikon Buckmaster is a nice scope in 3 X 9 with BDC they are around $220. A Leupold 3 X 9 Rifleman is about $200. If you wanted to get into higher powered scopes then maybe a Nikon 4.5 X 14 with side focus for about $300. Or a Leupold VX-1 in a 4 X 12 for about $280 or a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4 X 12 for about $310. I am not sure how a Mueller APV (4.5 X 14) would hold up on a 280 recoil wise, but at $115 shipped it is an outstanding deal. I tried to keep you as cheap as possible here with good choices in scopes. Good luck to you.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.