Author Topic: DDram drops to 512....?  (Read 1348 times)

TM7

DDram drops to 512....?
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
A couple of years ago I added another ddram to up my memory to 1024. Did this and the computor  instantly recognized the new board and reported the new ram memory rating.  Now today I just noticed that the system is only 512 ram under system information. That is odd. Where did my other 512 go..?

..TM7

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: DDram drops to 512....?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »
One of your RAM sticks is probably defective or just needs to be removed and reinstalled. Contacts corrode over time.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:40:37 AM »
My guess is one stick is bad but yeah it could be the motherboard. Stick one in and try and see if it shows OK. Then take it out and put in the other. If it shows OK as well you've ruled out the RAM sticks as the problem and then most likely it will be the slot on the MB. If when you stick one in it doesn't show any RAM then you know that stick is bad.

How many slots do you have? If more than two you might try using another slot altho some are picky about which slots are used as I recall.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 06:27:16 AM »
It doesn't have to mean new computer but if you think it's time to upgrade then maybe you should. Matt has replaced motherboards on my computers in the past usually upgrading to a faster CPU at the same time. But you can just replace the MB and nothing else IF you want.

These days tho improved much faster computers have become so cheap it might be time to get a new faster and better one.

Back when 64 bit technology was first coming out I bought up all the components for Matt to build me a "new super computer" as I called it or SPC for short. This sucker cost me a fortune but these days there are even faster and more powerful computers out there already fully built and ready to go for half what I paid for the components for mine only and Matt still had to build it for me. I'm running 2 gigs of RAM in mine and thinking of upgrading to 4 gigs. There still aren't many CPUs faster than what I'm running but the dual core CPUs do out perform it a bit. I also went with one of the new at the time 10,000 rpm hard drives and you talk about fast that sucker sure is.

What amazes folks the most is when I click on Photoshop and it fully opens in less than 5 seconds when most of them are used to it taking almost a minute to fully open on theirs.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 06:53:12 AM »
Nope I know NUTTIN about Vista.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125